QM Humor: "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle

• B
  • Thread starter collinsmark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Humor Qm
In summary, the conversation involves a comic strip from SMBC that discusses quantum theory and its implications. The conversation veers into a discussion about probability and imaginary numbers in QM, with some humor injected throughout. One person mentions wishing their mom had given them a "talk" about quantum theory at a young age, while another mentions the link between QM and probability. The conversation ends with a reference to Scott, who wrote a book on quantum computing, and a joke about a comic textbook.
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I was going to post this in the general discussion sub-forum (like the science jokes thread), but I think it's actually technical enough to be more appropriate here.

Today's SMBC (source: http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/the-talk-4):

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/1481723478-20161214%20(1)%20(1).png

Likes Nicky665, PeroK, Ilja and 12 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like my understanding of quantum theory just increased by a few hundred percent.

Likes vanhees71 and collinsmark
I wish my mom had the "talk" with me at that age...

Likes ShayanJ, dlgoff, Demystifier and 4 others
It's so embarrassing when your parents catch you with your qubits hanging out.

Likes vanhees71 and Drakkith
DrChinese said:
I wish my mom had the "talk" with me at that age...
Me too. I got really excited by it. :blushing:

Likes collinsmark and vanhees71
dlgoff said:
Me too. I got really excited by it. :blushing:
I would be more happy if a certain girl from neighborhood wanted to have such a talk with me. But no, she didn't want to indulge into serious stuff too early.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and vanhees71
Looking at that comic kind of interfere with my ignorance. But the odd that it was in a destructive way, had a really low amplitude ... in this multiverse anyway :cry:

Great stuff, thanks for posting !:biggrin:

I really like their take on why quantum computing is efficient. Never liked the "QC proves MWI" argument.

If the comedic vehicle in the skit is sexuality is "that talk" I don't want to think about an entangled state.

Likes vanhees71
I certainly don't find humor and QM incompatible, but quantum flapdoodle is another matter. How many times have I heard that QM shows that probability theory is inadequate. Probability in QM is regular old probability, just like real numbers in QM are regular old real numbers. Probability amplitudes are not probabilities and imaginary numbers are not imaginary.
When mom said, "Yes! QM is just a certain generalization of probability." then the Children's Services Division should have been called for child abuse.

Likes OCR and zonde
Zafa Pi said:
and imaginary numbers are not imaginary.
They are certainly no more imaginary than "real" number ... except for the "naming" part. "Dark" matter isn't dark either btw.

Zafa Pi said:
When mom said, "Yes! QM is just a certain generalization of probability." then the Children's Services Division should have been called for child abuse.
I think my sense of humor have failed me on this one.

Zafa Pi said:
...the Children's Services Division should have been be called for child abuse.
Well, do it!... drag out the ol' quikfone and call 'em up...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :ok:
By all probabilities... the Children's Services Division should arrive just when she says...
mom said:
Yes! QM is just a certain generalization of probability.
Catch her right in the act...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]
lmao.gif

Likes Zafa Pi
Boing3000 said:
They are certainly no more imaginary than "real" number ... except for the "naming" part.
How true. And how imaginary are the reals? Add the perfectly reasonable axiom of choice and along comes Tarski-Banach.

OCR said:
Well, do it!... drag out the ol' quikfone and call 'em up...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :ok:
By all probabilities... the Children's Services Division should arrive just when she says...

Catch her right in the act...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]View attachment 110698
EPR-Telecom confiscated my quikfone for late charges I accumulated before I bought it.

Likes OCR
Zafa Pi said:
EPR-Telecom confiscated my quikfone for late charges I accumulated before I bought it.
Well, I knew you were going to violate something, but I figured, although incorrectly, that in all probability... it must in some way, be connected to Bell...

OCR said:
Zafa Pi said:

OCR said:
Well, I knew you were going to violate something, but I figured, although incorrectly, that in all probability... it must in some way, be connected to Bell...
I see what you did there. :woot::wink:

A bit of double entendre between Alexander Graham Bell and John Stewart Bell.

Last edited:
Likes OCR
collinsmark said:
I see what you did there. :woot::wink:
I see that too... :oldwink:

And, also, I think Mr.Pi was let off the hooke rather gently... being EPR-Telecom, in all probability, is not local...?

It could have been much worse, such... the observable on this operator seems to imply... ?

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
That was actually fairly enlightening. They should write a whole textbook!

Likes OCR
OCR said:
I see that too... :oldwink:

And, also, I think Mr.Pi was let off the hooke rather gently... being EPR-Telecom, in all probability, is not local...?

It could have been much worse, such... the observable on this operator seems to imply... ?
Tomlin, how nostalgic. As for QM and jokes here's a favorite http://xkcd.com/1591/

Likes vanhees71 and OCR

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in the field of quantum mechanics. It states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

2. Why is it called the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The principle is named after Werner Heisenberg, a German physicist who first proposed it in 1927 as part of his uncertainty relations. Heisenberg's work revolutionized our understanding of quantum mechanics and earned him a Nobel Prize in Physics in 1932.

3. How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle affect our daily lives?

Although the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, its effects are not noticeable in our daily lives. This is because it only applies to very small particles, such as atoms and subatomic particles, and does not have a significant impact on our macroscopic world.

4. Can the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It is supported by various experiments and has been confirmed by numerous observations in the field of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

Yes, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has many practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and particle physics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of microscopic particles, which has led to numerous technological advancements in various industries.