Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A logical proof of a creator?

1. Apr 30, 2010 #1
    [Place in correct section if i have not]

This video was brought to my attention to be, as the title suggests, a logical proof of a creator. Although it is obvious as to which religion the speaker associates himself with, it doesn't seem to interfere with his explanation. I am posting this to ask for criticisms of the logic used by the speaker. I am looking for a logical rebuttal. Please keep this based on fact and try to avoid quoting religious scripture. The speaker does not quote any himself.

http://www.islamictube.com/watch/a3f572c342dc4bbcda0d/LOGICALLY-PROVING-THAT-THERE-IS-A-CREATOR" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Typical rant without logic that if we exist something had to personally create us. If you were to use his *logic*, and there had to be a creator, who created the creator, did he create himself? What existed before he created himself? Did he create himself from nothing? Do you see how making up "a creator" doesn't solve anything? Also if you believe something exits, the onus is on *you* to prove it, not on those that don't believe you.

4. Apr 30, 2010 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

However, we know that the universe had a beginning. God is assumed to be eternal - to exist outside of time.

This idea that everything came from nothing does seem rather silly. That's why I was interested in the ideas of a collision of branes, or a collapse of a hypersurface, to explain the BB. This would presumably mean that the universe or multiverse is eternal, and the problem goes away.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  5. Apr 30, 2010 #4

Evo

And that's were faith comes in. Which is perfectly fine.

This guy is trying to say that he can prove we had a personal creator with his illogical rant. You can believe that, but you can't prove it, and he can't say that those that don't believe in a creator have to prove him wrong.

6. Apr 30, 2010 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the other great mysteries that he addresses, or at least implicity so, is the question of why the universe works. It is often mentioned that even the slightest deviation in value of some physical constants, would make it impossible for stable atoms to exist. How is it that everything has just the values needed to make the physical universe possible? Based on our current understanding of physics, there is no known reason why this must be the case.

7. Apr 30, 2010 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not defending his thesis, just some of his points.

8. Apr 30, 2010 #7

Evo

It was "the accident" that worked. Obviously the accidents that didn't work, didn't work.

Who's to say that the same accident that formed the universe didn't also create life forms which we can't comprehend and which we refer to as "gods"? Instead of placing these creatures before the big bang, perhaps they are the by-product of it. "Prove me wrong!" :tongue2: Ok, I'll infractionate myself for that one. But do you see my point?

9. Apr 30, 2010 #8
    LOL I absolutely LOVE this type of logic.

To address the post though it's not a mystery AT ALL. People just love to apply mystcs to everything. The universe NECESSARILY must be 'perfect' by it's own standards for existence... It CAN'T be any other way.

It's like the nuts that use the good ole' 'Earth must have been created perfectly to harbour life because it harbours life.' Uhhh... no? WRONGGG!!!! Try again.

10. Apr 30, 2010 #9
    I think this isn't factually correct... where did you dig that up? (in the context you are using it i.e. cause --> beginning of universe ENTIRELY not just 'our' universe)

Err, isn't our universes existence 'out of our time' necessarily? The universe itself doesn't exist INSIDE itself AFAIK.

Assuming god exists solves no problems of the existence of our universe... and belief in such a god just causes more problems for humanity in general than it solves scientifically speaking.

The universe does not need a cause and it doesn't even need to have a 'beginning' from some cosmological models. (in the context you used previously)

11. Apr 30, 2010 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You shouldn't be so cocky when making such elementary errors. Yes, clearly we do exist, but the question is, why? The fundamental problem is that we don't know what determines the values of the constants. We don't know if they are driven by some underlying physics that we don't understand, or if they happened by chance. If you look back on the talk about Heim Theory, he claimed to have a model that predicted the values of the constants. Had that been true it would have been been revolutionary.

12. Apr 30, 2010 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have no physics to go beyond the first few microseconds or so, of time. There is no known cause for the BB.

Space and time necessarily coexist.

Really? Why not?

Ah, please provide a source for that one.

13. Apr 30, 2010 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have heard the suggestion made [no idea if this relates to any formal theory] that universes are constantly bubbling up out of the multiverse, with perhaps millions or billions of failed universes for every one that works. Again, I have no idea if this is anything more than wild speculation; if there is any scientific basis for this idea. It did come from a physicist, that's all that I can say for sure.

14. Apr 30, 2010 #13

Do you understand that there is ABSOLUTELY NO reason WHATSOEVER, why anything should be understandable, i.e. NOT being mystical??

Sorry, but this makes as much sense as Dart Vader dancing ballet. Why should the universe be perfect by its own standards? What are these standard of the universe? Is the univese alive and conscious that it sets standard for itself? Sounds like a load of crap.

15. Apr 30, 2010 #14

You can make any untestable model that will fit all the data we currently have(not much) and conclude almost anything.

16. Apr 30, 2010 #15
    Luke, I am your Father...

17. Apr 30, 2010 #16
    True, but isn't it so much fun!
    After all, wars are started over this.

Yummy!!!!! :devil:

18. Apr 30, 2010 #17
    Yeah exactly so why apply mystics to it? To pretend we understand? Give me a break. That was the entire point. Regardless of if we can understand 'causation of our universe' or not we do not need to invoke mystics. PERIOD Why make unnecessary assumptions???
    I guess I should have said by it's own standards of it's own existence. It NECESSARILY exists the way it exists because it does exist is the whole point. This is not an elementry mistake as Ivan would like to believe. The elementary mistake is presuming that there is a reason for it being this way. (shown in his question 'why?')
    They answer simply is: Because it is.

I'd love for you to cite for me peer review articles from well known scientific journals where a cosmological model was presented which is 'untestable' and demonstrates that 'cosmology can conclude anything given the data'.

It's also pretty ironic you posted that last post considering in your last post you defended mysticism.

19. Apr 30, 2010 #18
    Well then, I always love posts that start off with a bit of ad hominem.

Why do we exist? Because that's how the universe played out necessarily so because we exist! DUH! (circular reasoning FTW?!?!?!) The question itself is an argument from ignorance I think. Nothing is known about existence why should we assume it has a purpose or reason?

First off what constants are you talking about? No the fundamental problem to the question of causation of our universe is not that we may not be able to understand the underlying physics.

I thought Heim Theory is non-mainstream, isn't this a mainstream science ONLY forum??? Wow though. Really! Him being able to predict the value of 'the constants (whatever ones your talking about) would have been revolutionary to science! Way to add something usefull in regard to the OP!!!

20. Apr 30, 2010 #19
    Oh, really? Way to make it look like this is an apparent contradiction to what I had stated:

What does this have to do with what I posted exactly... I can't see any correlation between space/time existing in our universe and the fact that our universe exists outside that scope. The universe is EVERYTrHING including space and time. I posted that as a rebutle to your statement that: God is assumed to exist outside space/time.
    I posed the counter: Why can't our universe exist outside space/time? You have not answered this at all. Simple.
    Name a few problems that assuming existence of God will solve. Just replace all questions about the universe and shove them on to the concept you have of God. They still work; nothings changed!

What abouuut: Cyclic universe models, Ekpyrotic universe models or the new quantum bounce models??? What about Inflationary models pre-big bang?

Just as a side: When was the last time you actually studied cosmology or do you just have a average Joes understanding of the universe? I assume the latter because you seem to be under the impression that Big Bang = universe coming into existence.

It's not, it's the initial conditions and the accelerated expansion that occured. The universe already existed.

Big Bang theory = The universe started off much hotter and denser than it is today and has expanded over a finite amount of time (13.7 billion years ago) This says nothing about the origin of it all. Maybe it was one of those quantum possibilities that sprung into existence?

21. Apr 30, 2010 #20
    We've all heard the "something must have created everything" logic. But wouldn't a more "logical" reason for faith in a creator be evolution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook