1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A low pass filter

1. Feb 4, 2006 #1
    Q: Derive an expression for the Vout/Vi, the ratio of the output and source voltage amplitudes, as a function of the angular frequencie W of the source.

The L-R-C circuits looks like this..

source(ac)----------capacitor-----inductor----resistor----(back to start)

Vout is taken "between" the source and resitor and between the capacitor and inductor.

A: Well i know som formula but I can't really identify anything or understand how to set-up the problem...

maybe someone could explain the problem in easier terms and maybe give me a push in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, this is a series circuit, with V_out = V_C, the voltage across the capacitor.

What do you know about the voltages across the individual components in a series circuit? The currents throught the individual components? The total impedance in terms of the impedances of the individual components?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?