Measuring Illuminance with Lux Meter - Can I Make Conclusions?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a lux meter to measure the illuminance of a room and how the presence of different colored plastics affects the lux value. It is determined that the plastics are blocking some light from the source, and the possibility of calculating the plastics' light permeability is mentioned. The conversation also delves into the function and limitations of a lux meter and suggests seeking advice from experts on a photography forum. The idea of using the lux meter to define a "clearness" parameter for the plastics is mentioned, but it is also suggested that measuring the transparency of the plastics may be a more accurate approach.
litis
Hi,

I have a question.

I have measured with lux meter the illuminance of the room. When in front of the photoelement I put my plastics - colourless, green, red, blue. The lux value had decreased in the same tendency - from the colourless to the smallest value of blue sample. So, can I made some conclusions about my plastics' permeability or it is impossible.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You put a plastic something between the light meter and the light source and the reading decreases - so, yes, this tells you that the plastics are somehow blocking some light from the source.

Is it correct:
that I have mesuared the illuminance (lumen) in the room. After that in front of the lux meters' fotosensor I put polymer (about 5*5 cm, quite close) first colourless and after I tried others. From these results can I calculate T (clearness)- the polymers' light permeability? Value with polimer (lux) divided by room illuminace (lux)(where T is I permeatable light / I falling light). Would it be a correct valuation?

How works a lux meter? Does it measure what is coming directly 90 degrees from the light source? Is it a problem that I have used small sample?

Who can comment this and discuss with me?

There are probably several experts on this forum, but are waiting for you to provide a bit more information. I also suggest you consider a photography board as you might find even more experts to consult with.

A little background of your own studies and what this is for would also be nice. Your post structure implies to the casual reader that you might be a non-English speaker or young. If you are Non-English, you might be ready for or expecting an in-depth explanation of your meter. If you are young, a more superficial explanation might be sufficient or all that is expected.

The lux meter measured illuminance on the surface of the detector - not of the room.
This allows you to measure the intensity, as perceived by the human eye, of the light at the place that you held the meter ... so you hold the meter close to a camera and it tells you how bright the picture is going to look. OF course you can always just use your eye.

When you look through a colored filter, the light is dimmer ... the darker the color, the dimmer the light as perceived by the eye.
You already know this: just hold the colored plastic to your eye and look through it to see this.
That is all the lux meter is telling you.

You can use this to define a "clearness" parameter for the plastics if you want.
But it sounds like you want to measure the transparency of the plastics - is this correct?
http://info.craftechind.com/blog/how-do-scientists-define-clear-plastic

1. How does a lux meter measure illuminance?

A lux meter measures illuminance by using a photodiode to convert light into an electrical current. The meter then measures the current and calculates the illuminance in lux based on the sensitivity of the photodiode.

2. Can a lux meter be used for all types of lighting?

Yes, a lux meter can be used for all types of lighting, including natural light, artificial light, and even LED lighting. However, different types of lighting may require different calibration settings on the meter.

3. What are the units of measurement for illuminance on a lux meter?

The units of measurement for illuminance on a lux meter are lux, which is equal to one lumen per square meter. This unit is commonly used to measure the amount of light that falls on a surface.

4. Can I make conclusions about the quality of lighting from a lux meter reading?

While a lux meter can provide an accurate measurement of illuminance, it cannot determine the quality of lighting. Other factors such as color temperature, color rendering index, and glare must also be considered when evaluating the quality of lighting.

5. How can I use lux meter readings to improve lighting in a space?

Lux meter readings can be used to identify areas in a space that may be too bright or too dim. By adjusting the lighting in these areas, you can improve the overall lighting quality and ensure that the space is adequately illuminated for its intended use.