How can I secretly transport an item in my room without knowing it was done?

• Thread starter MotoH
  • Start date
In summary, a gremlin would be the perfect machine/device to bring clothing from one side of the bedroom to the other without the person knowing it was happening.
MotoH
I am in need of a machine/device that can do something.

The requirements for the device are as follows:

• I must not know the device is working
  • I cannot be in the same room as the device when it is working, so it must know when I am in the same room as it.
  • It must do its required task quickly, as to where I cannot walk in on it doing its task.
  • It must be unnoticeable, or extremely well hidden, so I do not know where the device is, and whether or not it is actually doing its required task.

OK, what I need it to do, is to bring an article of clothing, from one side of my bedroom to the other. Just one article of clothing, once a day, on a one way trip from one side to the other without me knowing it did its job.

Any suggestions? Money is not a problem. I cannot tell you why it needs to do this, because it will take the luck away from it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a gremlin.

Sounds like an old cell phone I used to have.

I was thinkin' maybe a younger brother.

Schrödinger's Cat

zoobyshoe said:
You need a gremlin.

I don't understand how a funny-looking car from the 70s can aid in this.

I'm sure there are any number of forum members who could make such a device. But given condition #1, how would you know the machine isn't just placebo?

GeorginaS said:
I don't understand how a funny-looking car from the 70s can aid in this.
Sorry. There are people here at Area 51 who would be displeased with me if I divulged the full spectrum of capabilities of that funny looking car.

MotoH said:

• I cannot be in the same room as the device when it is working, so it must know when I am in the same room as it.
  • It must do its required task quickly, as to where I cannot walk in on it doing its task.
  • It must be unnoticeable, or extremely well hidden, so I do not know where the device is, and whether or not it is actually doing its required task.

Okay, it's there and doing its job.

Ivan Seeking said:

I laughed. Out loud and everything.

DaveC426913 said:
I was thinkin' maybe a younger brother.

Hahaaa, I had the same thought

Ivan Seeking said:

The reply make me laugh :rofl:

The device is actually doing the job (move clothing), which is contradicted to the requirement 'without me knowing it did its job'.

So the engineering solutions would probably be along the lines of track or pulley/chain + motion detector + microcontroller or a hacked roomba. The hardest part will probably be picking up the clothes-is it from the floor or from a closet?

Practically speaking, I think cats, dogs, and toddlers do these tasks quite well.

MotoH said:

OK, what I need it to do, is to bring an article of clothing, from one side of my bedroom to the other. Just one article of clothing, once a day, on a one way trip from one side to the other without me knowing it did its job.

Any suggestions? Money is not a problem. I cannot tell you why it needs to do this, because it will take the luck away from it.

Yes, it's called a well-paid maid/butler. They are virtually invisible in their tasks because most people think down on them, thus remaining outside normal consciousness.
They are there and NOT there at the same time.

1. What is the purpose of the machine/device?

The purpose of the machine/device is to perform a specific task or function. This can range from simple tasks like cutting or measuring, to more complex tasks like analyzing data or processing information.

2. How does the machine/device work?

The specific workings of a machine/device will vary depending on its purpose and design. However, most machines/devices operate by converting energy into mechanical, electrical, or chemical energy to perform their intended function.

3. What are the benefits of using a machine/device?

The benefits of using a machine/device include increased efficiency and accuracy in performing tasks, reduction of physical labor, and the ability to perform tasks that would otherwise be impossible for humans to do on their own.

4. How do I choose the right machine/device for my needs?

Choosing the right machine/device will depend on your specific needs and the task you need it to perform. Factors to consider include the machine's capabilities, cost, maintenance requirements, and compatibility with other equipment.

5. What are the potential risks or drawbacks of using a machine/device?

The potential risks or drawbacks of using a machine/device may include malfunctions or breakdowns, the need for specialized training to operate it, and potential safety hazards if not used properly. It is important to carefully assess and address these risks before using any machine/device.