Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A machine/device is needed.

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    I am in need of a machine/device that can do something.

The requirements for the device are as follows:

• I must not know the device is working
    • I cannot be in the same room as the device when it is working, so it must know when I am in the same room as it.
    • It must do its required task quickly, as to where I cannot walk in on it doing its task.
    • It must be unnoticeable, or extremely well hidden, so I do not know where the device is, and whether or not it is actually doing its required task.

OK, what I need it to do, is to bring an article of clothing, from one side of my bedroom to the other. Just one article of clothing, once a day, on a one way trip from one side to the other without me knowing it did its job.

Any suggestions? Money is not a problem. I cannot tell you why it needs to do this, because it will take the luck away from it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    You need a gremlin.

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like an old cell phone I used to have.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I was thinkin' maybe a younger brother.

6. Apr 11, 2010 #5
    Schrödinger's Cat

7. Apr 12, 2010 #6
    I don't understand how a funny-looking car from the 70s can aid in this.

8. Apr 12, 2010 #7

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sure there are any number of forum members who could make such a device. But given condition #1, how would you know the machine isn't just placebo?

9. Apr 12, 2010 #8
    Sorry. There are people here at Area 51 who would be displeased with me if I divulged the full spectrum of capabilities of that funny looking car.

10. Apr 12, 2010 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, it's there and doing its job.

11. Apr 12, 2010 #10
    I laughed. Out loud and everything.

12. Apr 12, 2010 #11

drizzle

Gold Member

Hahaaa, I had the same thought

13. Apr 12, 2010 #12
    The reply make me laugh :rofl:

The device is actually doing the job (move clothing), which is contradicted to the requirement 'without me knowing it did its job'.

14. Apr 12, 2010 #13
    So the engineering solutions would probably be along the lines of track or pulley/chain + motion detector + microcontroller or a hacked roomba. The hardest part will probably be picking up the clothes-is it from the floor or from a closet?

Practically speaking, I think cats, dogs, and toddlers do these tasks quite well.

15. Apr 13, 2010 #14
    Yes, it's called a well-paid maid/butler. They are virtually invisible in their tasks because most people think down on them, thus remaining outside normal consciousness.
    They are there and NOT there at the same time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook