A machine/device is needed.

• Thread starter MotoH
  • Start date
I am in need of a machine/device that can do something.

The requirements for the device are as follows:

• I must not know the device is working
  • I cannot be in the same room as the device when it is working, so it must know when I am in the same room as it.
  • It must do its required task quickly, as to where I cannot walk in on it doing its task.
  • It must be unnoticeable, or extremely well hidden, so I do not know where the device is, and whether or not it is actually doing its required task.

OK, what I need it to do, is to bring an article of clothing, from one side of my bedroom to the other. Just one article of clothing, once a day, on a one way trip from one side to the other without me knowing it did its job.

Any suggestions? Money is not a problem. I cannot tell you why it needs to do this, because it will take the luck away from it.

Answers and Replies

You need a gremlin.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sounds like an old cell phone I used to have.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I was thinkin' maybe a younger brother.

Schrödinger's Cat

You need a gremlin.

I don't understand how a funny-looking car from the 70s can aid in this.

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm sure there are any number of forum members who could make such a device. But given condition #1, how would you know the machine isn't just placebo?

I don't understand how a funny-looking car from the 70s can aid in this.
Sorry. There are people here at Area 51 who would be displeased with me if I divulged the full spectrum of capabilities of that funny looking car.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

• I cannot be in the same room as the device when it is working, so it must know when I am in the same room as it.
  • It must do its required task quickly, as to where I cannot walk in on it doing its task.
  • It must be unnoticeable, or extremely well hidden, so I do not know where the device is, and whether or not it is actually doing its required task.

Okay, it's there and doing its job.

drizzle
Gold Member
I was thinkin' maybe a younger brother.

Hahaaa, I had the same thought

Okay, it's there and doing its job.

The reply make me laugh :rofl:

The device is actually doing the job (move clothing), which is contradicted to the requirement 'without me knowing it did its job'.

So the engineering solutions would probably be along the lines of track or pulley/chain + motion detector + microcontroller or a hacked roomba. The hardest part will probably be picking up the clothes-is it from the floor or from a closet?

Practically speaking, I think cats, dogs, and toddlers do these tasks quite well.

OK, what I need it to do, is to bring an article of clothing, from one side of my bedroom to the other. Just one article of clothing, once a day, on a one way trip from one side to the other without me knowing it did its job.

Any suggestions? Money is not a problem. I cannot tell you why it needs to do this, because it will take the luck away from it.

Yes, it's called a well-paid maid/butler. They are virtually invisible in their tasks because most people think down on them, thus remaining outside normal consciousness.
They are there and NOT there at the same time.