A machine that predicts the future

• Thread starter michael879
  • Start date
Rabid said:
Since using the machine will be a part of your predetermined future and already figured into how future events play out, your actions will have to be the result of 'choices' you make.
Assuming that your future is indeed predetermined, which we have no way of telling.

Rabid said:
The illusion of free will in itself is the 'force' that causes you to act and its presence is part of your predetermined future, so it cannot be lifted and must be there at the time you get into the car.
Blind chance could play a part in your future regardless of free-will being an illusion or not.

Rabid said:
There will be a reason you 'choose' to get into the car. As someone else mentioned you could be suicidal or maybe you are being chased and you know you will be tortured to death if you get caught and would rather blow up in your car. There could be any number of reasons for your actions, but everything you do you will do because you 'choose' to do it.
Just because you can assign "reasons" to things, it doesn't mean that the universe fundamentally "cares" that everything "needs a reason". Humans care, God may not. When there isn't a reason, we make one up. When it is proved wrong, we adjust it. When we encounter quantum uncertainty, we cling to probabilistic causality. etc...

Last edited:
I think your one assumption is enough, that is to say, assuming the universe is completely deterministic (I am not in fact asserting any of these things, simply following his argument) you must, in this case, enter the car. I think foreknowledge of the event would only affect the case in a non-deterministic free-will based universe. After all, if it is COMPLETELY deterministic, you have no choice in the matter, there is no choice to speak of. It seems to me anyways.