A man, a boat, and the tractrix formed

• Thread starter Prodigy Girl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary, the boat is at (x,y)= (x,f(x)) and the distance between the man and the boat is &sqrt((0-x)2+ (Y-f(x))2)= L. The slope of the line from the boat to the man is (Y-f(x))/(0-x)= f(x)/x- Y/x and, by definition of a "tractrix", the tangent of the curve: df/dx= f(x)x- Y/x.
Prodigy Girl
I really need help solving question #2 from the following webpage: http://www.math.psu.edu/anand/M141/applied2/ . I've attempted to solve this, but looking at my answers, I'm not overly confident. In part a, I'm suppose to prove that tractrix somehow, and in part b, I believe I am to just integrate that given equation...

But I'm not 100% sure (especially with part a)...

I'd be eternally grateful to any help given. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Applied Homework"? Now that's a peculiar name. The only good reason for doing homework is to learn something that you can later apply!

In any case, you have a problem about a "tractrix", the curve that has the property that "the rope is always tangent to the curve".

Okay, call the curve "y= f(x)". The man walks along the "y-axis" (I get that from the picture) so let's designate his postion at any time by (0, Y). The boat is at (x,y)= (x,f(x)) and the distance between him and the boat is &sqrt((0-x)2+ (Y-f(x))2)= L. The slope of the line from the boat to the man is (Y-f(x))/(0-x)= f(x)/x- Y/x and, by definition of a "tractrix" that is the tangent of the curve: df/dx= f(x)x- Y/x. "Y" varies from moment to moment but we can solve the "L" equation for Y: x2+(Y-f(x))2= L2 so Y= f(x)+ L2- x2.

From that you should be able to get the equation in part (a).
That looks to me like a straight forward first order, separable differential equation. Try to solve it and if you have trouble with it come back here.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy

The boat is at (x,y)= (x,f(x)) and the distance between him and the boat is &sqrt((0-x)2+ (Y-f(x))2)= L. The slope of the line from the boat to the man is (Y-f(x))/(0-x)= f(x)/x- Y/x and, by definition of a "tractrix" that is the tangent of the curve: df/dx= f(x)x- Y/x. "Y" varies from moment to moment but we can solve the "L" equation for Y: x2+(Y-f(x))2= L2 so Y= f(x)+ L2- x2.

Thank you for the help, HallsofIvy.

I was able to follow just about everything you mentioned. I understand that solving for Y would yield Y= f(x)+ sqrt(L2- x2), and then when that Y value is placed into the equation of the slope f(x)/x- Y/x and simplify, I will get that original equation.

There is only one thing I am confused about-- When you said "by definition of a "tractrix" that is the tangent of the curve: df/dx= f(x)x- Y/x," were you referring to df/dx= dY/dx= f'(x)? I just want to make sure I understand perfectly. Thanks.
:smile:

Yes.

What is the tractrix formed by a man and a boat?

The tractrix formed by a man and a boat is a curve that represents the path of the boat as it is towed by the man while maintaining a constant angle with the shoreline.

What is the significance of the tractrix in this scenario?

The tractrix is significant because it demonstrates the relationship between the force applied by the man and the resulting movement of the boat. It also shows how the angle of the shoreline affects this movement.

How is the tractrix formed mathematically?

The tractrix is formed by the equation x = a * ln(sec(theta) + tan(theta)), where x is the distance from the origin, a is a constant, and theta is the angle between the shoreline and the boat's direction of movement.

What real-life applications does the tractrix have?

The tractrix has been used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model the behavior of objects in motion, including boats and other vehicles. It has also been applied in economics and biology to study population growth and resource allocation.

Are there any limitations to the use of the tractrix?

While the tractrix is a useful mathematical concept, it does have some limitations. It assumes a constant angle between the shoreline and the boat's direction of movement, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. It also does not take into account external factors such as wind and currents, which can affect the movement of the boat.