What are the potential dangers of keeping a pet crocodile?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet
In summary, a crocodile is a type of reptile that is not typically considered a suitable pet due to their size and aggressive nature. They can grow to be about 10 feet long and weigh up to 500 pounds, and cannot be domesticated or trained like a dog. A pet crocodile requires specialized care, including a suitable habitat, specific diet, and regular vet check-ups. The legality of owning a pet crocodile varies by location, but it is generally illegal due to safety concerns.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2884428642460894280&q=type%3Agpick

I hope he never forgets to feed it before going out to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The croc would remain well-fed all the same, I think.

I just don't think what he's doing is very smart. I won't be surprised if he ends up much worse off than the girl in my previous post. I've already seen some clip of a guy putting his arm in a croc's mouth, it didn't go too well for him...

1. What type of pet is a crocodile?

A crocodile is a type of reptile and is not typically considered a suitable pet due to their size and aggressive nature.

2. How big can a pet crocodile get?

The size of a pet crocodile can vary depending on the species, but on average, they can grow to be about 10 feet long and weigh up to 500 pounds.

3. Can a crocodile be domesticated and trained like a dog?

No, crocodiles cannot be domesticated or trained like a dog. They are wild animals and have natural instincts that make them dangerous to humans.

4. What type of care does a pet crocodile require?

A pet crocodile requires specialized care and a suitable habitat with access to water. They also need a specific diet and regular vet check-ups to ensure their health and well-being.

5. Are pet crocodiles legal to own?

The legality of owning a pet crocodile varies by country and state. In most places, it is illegal to have a crocodile as a pet due to safety concerns and the potential danger they pose to humans and other animals.