1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A man jumps off a swingset (Help Please!)

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man jumps off a swingset at the peak of his swing (45 degrees from swing's base, which is perpendicular to the ground). The length of the swing chain is 2.13 meters, the distance from the pivot (where the chain attaches to the base) to the ground is 2.53 meters. What is the distance from his landing point to the base of the swing (the point on the ground below where the swing normally rests)? Air resistance, friction, etc... are insignificant.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Once you figure out the initial speed and angle, it is just a regular trajectory motion question like throwing a ball or shooting a bullet. I always start that type of question by figuring out the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity, then writing two headings: horizontal and vertical
    Ask yourself what kind of motion (accelerated or constant speed) you have in each case and write the appropriate formulas under each heading.

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3
    The problem I've ben having is really figuring out the initial speed and angle - once that's done, I think I can do it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve those?

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Sorry! I bungled that. On reading the question I noticed that he jumps off at the peak of this swing - at that point the person and the swing are stopped. So he will fall straight down. It is not a projectile motion problem at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook