How far did the man walk and what was his average speed?

• Thread starter Throwback24
  • Start date
In summary, a man walked a total of 1020 m in 150 minutes by first walking 440 m at a 50 degree angle and then 580 m at a 185 degree angle. His displacement from his starting point is approximately 286.5 m and his average speed was 6.8 m/min. However, to calculate his average velocity, we would need to know the sum of his two velocity vectors.
Throwback24

Homework Statement

A man walked 440 m 50 degrees polar positive, and then 580 m 185 degrees polar positive. The entire trip took 150 min.

Total distance travelled?
The displacement of the man?
Average of the man in m/min?
Average velocity of the man in m/min?

Homework Equations

Speed=Total Distance/Total Time
Average velocity=Displacement/Total Time

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed this out. I was accustomed to distance being N/S/W/E. Distance is a scalar quantity so it doesn't really into account positive and negative.

Would my total distance traveled be 1020 m?

Help please?

c. 1020 m/150 mins=6.8 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
a. Correct. The man walked 440m then 580m so he walked a total of 1020m.
b. However at the end of his walk he is not 1020m from his starting point. So how far is he?
c. You are correct.
d. Velocity is a vector quantity. We need the sum of his two velocity vectors. Or more simply the displacement from question b divided by the total time.

I'm confused as how to calculate displacement for this, can you give me an example please?

C would actually be 6.8m/min...just a small mistake but you might lose marks :P

To calculate the displacement you can make a triangle and have the hypotenus be his distance, then you can do 440 sin 50 degrees as his first displacement, and then I believe you would add to that 580 sin 185 degrees (which would be a negative number)...I believe his total displacement would be 286.5 m...I'm not positive though.

1. What does it mean when a man walks 440 m?

When a man walks 440 m, it means that he has covered a distance of 440 meters by walking on foot.

2. How long does it take for a man to walk 440 m?

The time it takes for a man to walk 440 m depends on his walking speed. On average, a person walking at a moderate pace of 5 km/h would take approximately 5-6 minutes to cover 440 m.

3. Is walking 440 m considered a long distance?

It depends on the individual's physical ability and fitness level. For some people, 440 m may be a long distance, while for others it may be a short distance. Generally, walking 440 m would take less than 10 minutes for a healthy adult.

4. How many steps would it take to walk 440 m?

The number of steps it would take to walk 440 m varies depending on a person's stride length. On average, a person's stride length is between 0.7-0.8 meters, so it would take around 550-625 steps to cover 440 m.

5. Can walking 440 m have health benefits?

Yes, walking 440 m can have various health benefits such as improving cardiovascular health, increasing muscle strength and endurance, and burning calories. Regular walking can also help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.