Discover the Magic of Marble-Based Computing with Turing Tumble Kickstarter

In summary, the conversation discusses a new board game called Turing Tumble, which is a small machine that can perform logic tasks similar to actual computers. It is available for purchase for $70 US and there are also numerous YouTube videos showcasing its capabilities. The game is inspired by earlier ESR toys from the 1960s and the inventor and his wife have been recognized for their creation.
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is absolutely great!

Thanks @YoungPhysicist for sharing this.

I found that you can actually order the game now for $70 US:

https://www.turingtumble.com/

I'm definitely going to have to get one of these. Now, I wonder if Machine Learning is available for it.

There are numerous youtube videos on it as well.

-----------------------------------

It reminds me of the earlier ESR toys: Dr Nim, Think-a-dot and Digicomp-II games of the 1960s when I was a kid.

Evil Scientist Digicomp-II:

https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2011/digi-comp-ii-and-the-2011-bay-area-maker-faire/

and lastly a more complete video where Bill Kustes demonstrates these three:

Last edited:
Likes YoungPhysicist and anorlunda

1. What is Turing Tumble?

Turing Tumble is a unique and innovative educational toy that teaches children about the basics of computers and coding through a fun and interactive marble-based game.

2. How does it work?

Turing Tumble uses a series of mechanical switches and gears to simulate the basic functions of a computer, such as logic gates and memory. Players can use marbles to program the game and solve puzzles, learning about computer concepts in the process.

3. What age group is Turing Tumble suitable for?

Turing Tumble is designed for children ages 8 and up, but can also be enjoyed by adults who are interested in learning about computer science in a hands-on and playful way.

4. What makes Turing Tumble different from other coding toys?

Unlike other coding toys that use screens and programming languages, Turing Tumble offers a physical and tactile experience that helps children understand the fundamental principles of computing in a more engaging way.

5. How can I support the Turing Tumble Kickstarter campaign?

You can support the Turing Tumble Kickstarter campaign by pledging to receive a Turing Tumble set and spreading the word about the project to friends and family. You can also follow the campaign on social media and share updates to help reach the funding goal.