Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A mass action expression

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

I have the following equilibrium reaction [itex]\mathrm{2NO_{2} \leftrightharpoons N_{2} O_{4}}[/itex] which has a tempeture of
    [itex] \mathrm{t = 100 \ ^\circ C.}[/itex]
    The reactions takes place in a canister with a volume of 0,50 Liters, where the pressure at equilibrium is 1,6 bar.

Futhermore the equilibrium constant is found to be [itex]\mathrm{K_{c} = 5,0 M^{-1}}[/itex]

a/ First I write the mass action expression [itex]K_{c} = \frac{\mathrm{[N_{2}O_{4}]}}{\mathrm{[NO_{2}]^2}}[/itex]

b/ Second I calculate the amount of mol substance then the reaction is in equilibrium:

[itex]\mathrm{n_{equ}} = \frac{\mathrm{1,6bar \cdot 0,5 L}}{\mathrm{0,0831 \frac{bar \cdot L}{mol \cdot K}\cdot \ {373,0 K}}}= 2,6 \times 10^{-2} \ \mathrm{mol}[/itex]

c/ How do I calculate [itex][\mathrm{NO_{2}}] \ \mathrm{and} \ [\mathrm{N_{2} O_{10}}][/itex] ??

Many Thanks in advance.

Sincerely
    Fred
    Denmark

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted