1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A mass and a frictionless ramp

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well i have a tiny question here

a 2 kg mass starts at rest and slides down a 10 m high, 15 m long frictionless ramp. At the bottom of the ramp it reaches a flat surface where it hits and sticks to a stationary 3 kg mass . Find the final speed of the masses after collision.

2. Relevant equations
    mgh = .5mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

i was just wondering does the 15 m really matter, where do i use it. I understand the second momentum part of the question but i dont understand what i am supposed to do with the 15 m. All i did was mgh = .5mv^2 and substituted height and mass to get velocity. Please Help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Maybe it is not a head on collision in which case the angle is required?

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the mass slides down the frictionless ramp, its accelarion is not g but g*sin(theta) where theta is the angle of the ramp to the horizontal. And you can find sin(theta) by using length and height of the ramp.

5. Nov 8, 2007 #4
    thanks

thanks for the help, actually i just omitted the length and used energy equations, and i got the right answer...go figure..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?