1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A massless string

1. Apr 5, 2003 #1
    So I have a wave incident on a boundary problem. The incidence is normal and the boundary is a knot of mass 'm' at z = 0, with the wave coming from minus infinity. The problem is that the string on the other side is massless, and I can't figure out exactly how that effects the boundary conditions. I know the string must be continuous as the first condition, and:

T*[df(+) - df(-)] = m*d^2f/dz^2

as the second condition. Where df(+) is the first derivative on the positive side of z = 0 and df(-) is the derivative on the negative side.

What I thought to do was let df(+) = 0 because there is no force coming from that side, but that hasn't worked. I also tried letting the transmitted wave be imaginary only because without mass I can't see how a string could vibrate, and that didn't work either. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2003 #2
    Thorazine, I think this is physically correct. I think df/dz=0 everywhere in the massless part. Could you please explain why it doesn't work?

4. Apr 5, 2003 #3
    I could be wrong but shouldn't the equation be:

m*[df(+) - df(-)]/dz = T*(d^2f/dz^2)

Maybe?

5. Apr 6, 2003 #4
    Re: Re: A massless string

I know it's not correct because it doesn't give me the right answer, I don't know why it doesn't work. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook