Need Help Solving This Math Problem?

• Thread starter c00ky
  • Start date
In summary: The first step is to expand the series to 4 terms. You can do this by multiplying each term by the previous term. So, in this example, x + x^2 + x^3 + 5x^4 would be written as x^5. The next step is to check to see that it approximates the cosine. Calculate the cosine of some angle t and then evaluate that series of 4 terms where x = t. To do this, you need to know what cosine is. It is a mathematical function that calculates the cosine of an angle. In this case, you are using it to calculate the cosine of an angle in radians.
c00ky
A Math Problem...

Hi Guys,

I'm totally stuck on the following problem, if anybody could spare me some of their time to guide me through the solution that would be great.

I have a screenshot of the problem on the following site...

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/22412435578.jpg&s=f10"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1 is expand the series to 4 terms. Do you know what the 0th term is?

That looks correct. The one comment I have is that it is not legitimate to expand it like that, using all r's. If you use r in an expression, then wherever else the r appears in the expression, it has to mean the same thing--you can't have one group of r's be 0, the next be 1, and so on. You should just skip straight to the step where you substitute in the values.

The next step is to check to see that it approximates the cosine. Calculate the cosine of some angle t and then evaluate that series of 4 terms where x = t.

"The next step is to check to see that it approximates the cosine. Calculate the cosine of some angle t and then evaluate that series of 4 terms where x = t."

How do I do this? This is the part I am unsure about.

let's say I have a series of 4 terms, x + x^2 + x^3 + 5x^4
Now if I want to evaluate this series at x = 2, this is what I do:
2 + 2^2 + 2^3 + 5*2^4
= 2 + 4 + 8 + 160
= 174

You want to do a similar thing, but with an angle in radians.

I'm trying but I'm not understanding what I should be seeing at the end of my calculations.

Well, what are your calculations?

X = 5

substitue:

= 1 - (1/2x5^2) + (1/24x5^4) - (1/720x5^6)

= 1 - 12.5 + 26.041666... - 21.7013888...

= - 7.159722

What does this mean? (My maths teacher was a Media teacher)

What that means is that using the approximation of the first four terms of the series, cos 5 = -7.16. This is clearly not true, but remember that it's only an approximation: it can be wrong. In fact the error increases as the absolute value of x increases. Try a smaller x, say x = 1, instead.

X = 1

substitue:

= 1 - (1/2x1^2) + (1/24x1^4) - (1/720x1^6)

= 1 - (0.5) + (0.041666..) - (0.0013888...)

= 0.5402778

?

Now what's cos 1?

I think i had my calculator set in the wrong mode...

I switched it to 'RAD'

and it came up

Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!"?

"Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!" is a math puzzle game that challenges players to solve complex math problems in order to progress through levels and earn rewards.

Who created "Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!"?

"Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!" was created by a team of scientists and mathematicians who wanted to make learning math more fun and engaging.

What makes "Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!" different from other math games?

"Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!" stands out from other math games because it focuses on solving challenging problems rather than simple equations, and it rewards players for their progress and accuracy.

How do I play "Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!"?

To play "Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!", simply download the game from your app store and follow the instructions. You will be presented with a series of math problems to solve, and you can use hints and power-ups to help you along the way.

Is "Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!" suitable for all ages?

While "Stumped: Solve This Math Problem!" is designed for players of all ages, it may be more suitable for older children and adults due to the complexity of the math problems. However, younger players can still enjoy the game with parental guidance and support.

Back