Solving x^3-x-1 Made Easy: Exploring Methods

• Thread starter glueball8
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for solving a specific polynomial equation and the difficulty in finding a solution. Suggestions are made to use Newton's method, the depressed method, and the use of trigonometric identities or substitution. However, the conversation suggests that the best approach is to search for the exact solutions in terms of radicals.
glueball8
Is there a easy way to solve x^3-x-1=0? I know there's Newton's method and depressed method... but is there a easy way?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Third degree and fourth degree polynomial equations have exact solutions in terms of radicals. With a little searching, you can find them.

mathman said:
Third degree and fourth degree polynomial equations have exact solutions in terms of radicals. With a little searching, you can find them.

Hmm its not that simple... you can't use long division or the |_____...

its a special polynomial equation..

its from trying to solve (1+(1+(1+...)^1/3)^1/3)^1/3...

It is that simple: there are solutions for cubics in terms of the coefficients and sums and radicals thereof. Just google for them.

ok.
Actually, because this cubic has only one real root, you should use the hyperbolic cosine instead.
The triple angle formula is [itex]\cosh(3\theta)=4\cosh^3\theta-3\cosh\theta[/itex]. Try putting [itex]x=a\cosh\theta[/itex] into your formula for x.
[tex]
a^3\cosh^3(\theta)-a\cosh(\theta)=1.
[/tex]
notice if a2 = 4/3 then you can multiply both sides by 3/a,
[tex]
4\cosh^3(\theta)-3\cosh(\theta)=3/a=3\sqrt{3}/2
[/tex]
Putting this together, you have [itex]x = \frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}\cosh\left(\cosh^{-1}(3\sqrt{3}/2)/3\right)[/itex].

Hmm? What's so hard about it? The constant term is -1, so chances are x - 1 or x +1 divides the polynomial. A little synthetic division magic and we see x-1 divides the cubic without remainder. Since x - 1 is a factor, we know:

[tex](x^3 -x -1) = (x-1)(x^2 +x+1) = 0[/tex]

So [tex]x-1 = 0[/tex] and or [tex]x^2 +x +1 = 0[/tex] (I assume you know how to solve quadratic equations)

Little method I use for solving polynomials with an order > 2 is:

1) Figure out which factors there might be of the equation. Usually in x^n +- x^(n-1)...+-C there is a factor x - c such that c is a factor of C. For instance, in [tex]x^4 - x^3 + x^2 - 8[/tex] possible factors could be x +- 2, +-4, or +-8.

2) Divide the polynomial by the possible factors until you find one without a remainder.

3) Repeat step 2 until you 'take out' all the factors.

4) Try the answers, because some roots don't always work!

Daniel Y. said:
Hmm? What's so hard about it? The constant term is -1, so chances are x - 1 or x +1 divides the polynomial. A little synthetic division magic and we see x-1 divides the cubic without remainder. Since x - 1 is a factor, we know:

[tex](x^3 -x -1) = (x-1)(x^2 +x+1) = 0[/tex]
No.

So [tex]x-1 = 0[/tex] and or [tex]x^2 +x +1 = 0[/tex] (I assume you know how to solve quadratic equations)

Little method I use for solving polynomials with an order > 2 is:

1) Figure out which factors there might be of the equation. Usually in x^n +- x^(n-1)...+-C there is a factor x - c such that c is a factor of C. For instance, in [tex]x^4 - x^3 + x^2 - 8[/tex] possible factors could be x +- 2, +-4, or +-8.

2) Divide the polynomial by the possible factors until you find one without a remainder.

3) Repeat step 2 until you 'take out' all the factors.

4) Try the answers, because some roots don't always work!
Apparently this is harder than you think it is because x= 1 is obviously NOT a root. 13- 1- 1= -1, not 0.
(x-1)(x2+ x+ 1)= x3+ x2+ x- x2- x- 1= x3- 1, not x3- x- 1.

Bright Wang said:

Yes, unless you can just happen to guess one real solution (as per Daniel Y's attempt, it's always worth attempting this first --- although it appears Daniel made an arithmetic error or something in this case and got it wrong) then that "depressed cubic" method is really the best way to go.

Personlly I like to do via a non-linear substitution. Fundamentally it's really the same thing as using those formulas you linked but I find it somehow more satisfying to use the substitution.

Given a depressed cubic [itex]z^3 + pz + q = 0[/itex], if you make the non-linear substition [itex] z = w - p/(3w) [/itex] then it "magically" simplifies into a quadratic in [itex]w^3[/itex]. Give it a try, it's easy enough. Although be prepared to work in the complex domain for all the intermediate work, even for cases when all the final roots are real!

uart said:
Yes, unless you can just happen to guess one real solution (as per Daniel Y's attempt, it's always worth attempting this first --- although it appears Daniel made an arithmetic error or something in this case and got it wrong) then that "depressed cubic" method is really the best way to go.

Personlly I like to do via a non-linear substitution. Fundamentally it's really the same thing as using those formulas you linked but I find it somehow more satisfying to use the substitution.

Given a depressed cubic [itex]z^3 + pz + q = 0[/itex], if you make the non-linear substition [itex] z = w - p/(3w) [/itex] then it "magically" simplifies into a quadratic in [itex]w^3[/itex]. Give it a try, it's easy enough. Although be prepared to work in the complex domain for all the intermediate work, even for cases when all the final roots are real!

ya my teacher showed me that one... I thought it was too complex... and I didn't understand it...

1. How can I solve x^3-x-1 without using complicated methods?

There are several easy methods to solve x^3-x-1. One method is to use the Rational Root Theorem to find possible rational roots of the polynomial. Another method is to use synthetic division to divide the polynomial by a possible root and then use the remaining quadratic equation to solve for the other roots. You can also use the cubic formula, which is a general formula for solving cubic equations.

2. Can I solve x^3-x-1 without using a calculator?

Yes, you can solve x^3-x-1 without using a calculator by using some of the methods mentioned earlier, such as the Rational Root Theorem or synthetic division. However, using a calculator may make the process quicker and easier.

3. Is there a shortcut for solving x^3-x-1?

There is no specific shortcut for solving x^3-x-1, but using the Rational Root Theorem or synthetic division can make the process more efficient. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of factoring and solving quadratic equations.

4. What is the importance of solving x^3-x-1?

Solving x^3-x-1 may seem like a simple exercise, but it is an important skill in mathematics and science. It can help in solving various problems and equations that involve cubic functions. It also helps in understanding the properties and behavior of cubic equations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving x^3-x-1?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving x^3-x-1. For example, it can be used to model population growth, calculate the volume of certain shapes, and analyze data in economics and engineering. It is also used in fields such as physics and chemistry to solve equations and make predictions.