Solving Systems of DEs with Undetermined Coefficients

In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of differential equations using undetermined coefficients. After comparing coefficients, the speaker has found that a vector a is (1,1)T and is trying to find the vector b. They have rearranged the equation and found A-I, but it is not invertible and they are unsure of what to do next.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

So I'm doing a systems of DEs question with undetermined coefficients. After comparing coefficients, I have this:
a+b=Ab+(1,0)T

where a&b are vectors (2D) and A is the coefficient matrix:
[2 -1]
[3 -2]

I know that 'a' is (1,1)T. I need to find b.

I tried rearranging it, but I don't know if that's right.
(1,1)-(1,0)=Ab-b
(0,1)=(A-1)b

So I found A-I:
[1 -1]
[3 -3]

I was going to invert it and multiply by (0,1), but it's not invertible. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Melawrghk! :wink:
Melawrghk said:
… I tried rearranging it, but I don't know if that's right.
(1,1)-(1,0)=Ab-b
(0,1)=(A-1)b

Yes, that's fine! :smile:
I tried rearranging it, but I don't know if that's right.
(1,1)-(1,0)=Ab-b
(0,1)=(A-1)b
Give up! :biggrin:

A - I is a projection onto the line x = y (because it sends (p,q) to (p-q,p-q)), so you can't have (A - I)b = (0,1).

1. How do I determine the undetermined coefficients in a system of DEs?

To determine the undetermined coefficients in a system of DEs, you need to first identify the form of the equations (e.g. homogeneous or non-homogeneous) and the type of functions involved (e.g. polynomials, exponentials, trigonometric functions). Then, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients to solve for the coefficients by equating coefficients of like terms on both sides of the equations.

2. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous system of DEs?

A homogeneous system of DEs has all terms containing the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a non-homogeneous system has additional terms that are not dependent on the dependent variable or its derivatives. This difference affects the approach used to solve for the undetermined coefficients in the system of DEs.

3. Can I use the method of undetermined coefficients to solve any system of DEs?

No, the method of undetermined coefficients can only be used for linear systems of DEs with constant coefficients. For non-linear systems or systems with variable coefficients, other methods such as variation of parameters or Laplace transforms may be used.

4. How many undetermined coefficients are needed to solve a system of DEs?

The number of undetermined coefficients needed depends on the number of equations in the system and the types of functions involved. In general, the number of undetermined coefficients should be equal to the number of equations in the system.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving systems of DEs with undetermined coefficients?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong form of the equations (homogeneous vs. non-homogeneous), not considering all possible types of functions involved, and not setting up the equations correctly before solving for the undetermined coefficients. It is important to carefully analyze the equations and use the proper method to avoid these mistakes.