Proving R^2*2 is a Vector Space: A Matrix Proof with Real Entries

In summary, the set of all 2x2 matrices with real entries, R^2*2, is a vector space when the standard basis is used and the properties of vector spaces are applied. This can be demonstrated by taking two matrices A and B with real entries and using them in the 10 or 8 axioms for vector spaces. This topic may be challenging as it is a mix of linear algebra and differential equations, but it can be easier when studied separately.
rygza
show that the set of all 2x2 matrices with real entries, R^2*2 (that's a "double R"), is a vector space.

I have no clue how to approach this. The only thing i know is the standard basis for 2x2 matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to add matrices? How to multiply them by a constant? Is there a 0 element? Do you know the list of properties that define a vector space?

LCKurtz said:
Do you know how to add matrices? How to multiply them by a constant? Is there a 0 element? Do you know the list of properties that define a vector space?

I'm looking at my notes. My teacher skipped this part to try to dumb down the section for the class, but yea i see a list of 10 properties

I took Linear Algebra 2 last quarter.

I think you need to take the standard 2 x 2 matrix with the terms a,b,c,d belonging to R as matrix A and another matrix B with the terms e,f,g,h belonging to R

and then you need to use them in the 10 or the 8 axioms for vector spaces

hope it helps

retspool said:
I took Linear Algebra 2 last quarter.

I think you need to take the standard 2 x 2 matrix with the terms a,b,c,d belonging to R as matrix A and another matrix B with the terms e,f,g,h belonging to R

and then you need to use them in the 10 or the 8 axioms for vector spaces

hope it helps

THANK YOU!
yea the problem is this class is a mix of linear algebra and differential equations. It switches back and forth between the two, it can get tough for me

My bro took a joint course of L.A and Diff. Eq

He had a hard time, i took Diff eq. and L.A Seperately and i breezed away with it.

1. What is R^2*2?

R^2*2 is a mathematical notation used to represent the set of all 2x2 matrices with real number entries. It is a vector space as it satisfies all the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to be a vector space?

A matrix being a vector space means that it satisfies all the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and follows the axioms of a vector space.

3. How do you prove that R^2*2 is a vector space?

To prove that R^2*2 is a vector space, we need to show that it satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This includes showing closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and verifying that it follows the axioms of a vector space, such as associativity and distributivity.

4. What is the importance of proving that R^2*2 is a vector space?

Proving that R^2*2 is a vector space is important because it helps us understand the properties and structure of matrices. It also allows us to apply the concepts and techniques of vector spaces to matrices, which can be useful in solving problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Can you provide an example of a matrix in R^2*2?

An example of a matrix in R^2*2 is
A = [1 2
3 4]
where the entries 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all real numbers. This matrix belongs to the set of all 2x2 matrices with real number entries, which is denoted by R^2*2.