Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A matter of terms

  1. Dec 31, 2006 #1
    If I have a cyclic space, [0, 1] where 0 is equal to 1.
    Can I also call it a cyclic dimension?
    What are the terms of describing this cyclic interval/space etc?

    Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2006 #2
    Oops, perhaps it should be called cyclic field.
    But can I also call it cyclic space or cyclic dimension?
  4. Dec 31, 2006 #3

    matt grime

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    You're talking about R/Z. The reals modulo the integers. It can be identified with the unit circle in the complex plane by [itex]t \to \exp(2\pi t)[/itex].

    If you call it a cyclic space, or dimension, I imagine you'd be alone in doing so. It is not a field, since it doesn't have a multiplicative identity.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook