A mechanical engineer told me Science isn't useful?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the usefulness of science and physics in the practical field of engineering. The mechanical engineer argued that these subjects are only small parts of the bigger picture in his projects and that getting lost in the details like physics can hinder the overall progress. He also stated that he prefers to focus on practicality and does not care about theories and hypotheses. Some possible comebacks were suggested, such as pointing out the importance of theories in the development of practical applications like the steam engine.
physicsdude30 said:
... Just pondering things here. Anyway, I'm just curious how you defend yourself against people who say you're a details rather than big picture thinker because you're very interested in Science?

I doubt the "big pictures" to which he is referring are anywhere near the size of a galactic cluster. :biggrin:

Honestly, quit spending time with him if/when you can. If all he is going to do is insult your passion, deny him the privilege of your friendship. That can be hard with family, but doable nonetheless. Come hang with us! :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help but think there are mechanics who hold mechanical engineers in similar distain as this guy does Scientists.

I can't believe this thread is still running. It's like an MBA has said that basic accounting isn't useful though s/he may need a lot of those accounting stats to craft a new strategy for their company. Fundamental sciences and maths inform the people that use them (engineers) and guide their decisions. For an engineer to baldly deny that is a bit hard to swallow. (Though I have known some engineers that were heavy glad-handers, and used people on their research projects to make them look lots smarter than they were.)

Why people are making conclusions about a third person who is not present here to defend himself? OP might be taking his words out of context.
academia_vs_business.png

xkcd..

Last edited:
rootX said:
Who people are making conclusions about a third person who is not present here to defend himself? OP might be taking his words out of context.
academia_vs_business.png

xkcd..

Dude, that's what he told me!

I'm not saying that I look down on him for that, I'm just curious how you defend yourself with people who say that.

Another example, I've been reading scientific peer-review journals for fun ever since high school. I meet a person who says she's working on a project with a researcher and the researcher told her to forget what's in the science research methodology books because that's not how it works in the real world. However, I felt like saying to her that we need to put it into context, the big picture of the project that researcher is working on may not use many concepts from textbooks of methods of research, however there's another big picture involved. When I look at scientific peer-review journals I keep on seeing over and over again different vocabulary words of concepts from these research methods textbooks, so as a general pattern researchers do use these concepts, even if you have to adapt to the "here and now big picture", if that makes sense? Looking at general universal patterns can also help you think outside of the box past just the "here and now details" (notice how big picture vs. details gets swapped around just by changing "context of the situation"). Who's more of a big picture thinker, and more of the details thinker? It looks arbitrary to me, but I don't think I should be forgetting what I know about Science because this mechanical engineer relative who likes sports a lot more thinks Science is just details.

Does that make sense where I'm getting at?

physicsdude30 said:
Dude, that's what he told me!

I'm not saying that I look down on him for that, I'm just curious how you defend yourself with people who say that.

Another example, I've been reading scientific peer-review journals for fun ever since high school. I meet a person who says she's working on a project with a researcher and the researcher told her to forget what's in the science research methodology books because that's not how it works in the real world. However, I felt like saying to her that we need to put it into context, the big picture of the project that researcher is working on may not use many concepts from textbooks of methods of research, however there's another big picture involved. When I look at scientific peer-review journals I keep on seeing over and over again different vocabulary words of concepts from these research methods textbooks, so as a general pattern researchers do use these concepts, even if you have to adapt to the "here and now big picture", if that makes sense? Looking at general universal patterns can also help you think outside of the box past just the "here and now details" (notice how big picture vs. details gets swapped around just by changing "context of the situation"). Who's more of a big picture thinker, and more of the details thinker? It looks arbitrary to me, but I don't think I should be forgetting what I know about Science because this mechanical engineer relative who likes sports a lot more thinks Science is just details.

Does that make sense where I'm getting at?

It is just inappropriate to make judgments about a person behind his/her back IMO.

rootX said:
It is just inappropriate to make judgments about a person behind his/her back IMO.

I'm sorry.

So how would you do it differently in finding out ideas of what to say to people who say Science is details and not the big picture? Details vs. big picture in this situation seems arbitrary, but don't you think there's a way the perspective of where scientists come from could possibly be shared in a socially constructive way.

elect_eng said:
Well, he only cares about getting the answers. I don't agree with this approach, but I often see it among some engineers. They worry about missing the forest for the trees, but they miss that the forest is part of a continent, which is part of the earth, which is part of the solar system, which is part of a galaxy, which is part of a universe. I find that very sad.

Yes, as far as being objective, by definition a detail is a part to the whole. So no matter how big of a picture person you are, all you have to do is change the context of the situation and 99% of everyone on planet Earth will think that "big picture" person's perspective no more than a "small detail".

When you see an apple, most look at it and think "apple". They think that's the big picture. If someone's like, "It's red, it's round," most everyone else will think there's something wrong and that person is a details person. Then you switch things around. That "it's red" person studies colors for a living. To him, the apple is a here and now detail which will be gone in five minutes. From that perspective, colors are much more universal, or broad perspective. As far as reality goes, in five years from now no one will even care about that apple, while colors will still be around. I don't know if my thinking is on the right track, but it's like there are polar opposites, the big picture vs. details of a situation, and then the more universal broader principles big picture vs. the here and now details.

I would think for more efficient thinking it's best to look at more than just one big picture, but it seems like there's a lot of people out there who appear arrogant and brag that they're a big picture thinker while everyone else isn't.

<h2>1. Why do mechanical engineers say that science isn't useful?</h2><p>Mechanical engineers may say this because they believe that their field is more practical and hands-on, and that scientific theories and concepts may not always directly apply to their work.</p><h2>2. Isn't science the foundation of all engineering fields?</h2><p>Yes, science is the foundation of all engineering fields. Mechanical engineers use scientific principles and laws to design and analyze mechanical systems and structures.</p><h2>3. Can't science help improve mechanical engineering processes?</h2><p>Yes, science plays a crucial role in improving mechanical engineering processes. Through research and experimentation, scientists can discover new materials, technologies, and techniques that can enhance mechanical engineering designs and operations.</p><h2>4. How can a mechanical engineer say that science isn't useful when they use scientific tools and equipment?</h2><p>Mechanical engineers may use scientific tools and equipment in their work, but they may not always rely on scientific theories and concepts to solve practical problems. They may prioritize practicality and efficiency over scientific accuracy.</p><h2>5. Are there any examples of science being useful in mechanical engineering?</h2><p>Yes, there are numerous examples of science being useful in mechanical engineering. For instance, the laws of thermodynamics are essential in designing and optimizing energy-efficient systems, and the principles of mechanics are crucial in designing safe and functional mechanical structures.</p>

1. Why do mechanical engineers say that science isn't useful?

Mechanical engineers may say this because they believe that their field is more practical and hands-on, and that scientific theories and concepts may not always directly apply to their work.

2. Isn't science the foundation of all engineering fields?

Yes, science is the foundation of all engineering fields. Mechanical engineers use scientific principles and laws to design and analyze mechanical systems and structures.

3. Can't science help improve mechanical engineering processes?

Yes, science plays a crucial role in improving mechanical engineering processes. Through research and experimentation, scientists can discover new materials, technologies, and techniques that can enhance mechanical engineering designs and operations.

4. How can a mechanical engineer say that science isn't useful when they use scientific tools and equipment?

Mechanical engineers may use scientific tools and equipment in their work, but they may not always rely on scientific theories and concepts to solve practical problems. They may prioritize practicality and efficiency over scientific accuracy.

5. Are there any examples of science being useful in mechanical engineering?

Yes, there are numerous examples of science being useful in mechanical engineering. For instance, the laws of thermodynamics are essential in designing and optimizing energy-efficient systems, and the principles of mechanics are crucial in designing safe and functional mechanical structures.