1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A mechanics problem with moving and fixed coordinate systems

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    1. A point P is described in terms of a fixed coordinate system XYZ with unit vectors I,J,K and a moving coordinate system xyx with unit vectors i,j,k.at a given instant the location of the origin
    of the moving system is 80I-90J.the velocity of P relative to moving system is 50i+45j;the radius of point P is 3i+4j in the moving system, which rotates at angular velocity w=100k. Find the velocity of point P in the fixed system if the x axis is rotated 30 counterclockwise from the X axis.

2. Relevant equations
    R=R0+r
    R=R0xI+R0yJ+R0zk+rxi+ryj+rzk
    R^=R^0xI+R^0yJ+R^0zK+r^xi+r^yj+r^zk+rxi^+ryj^+rzk^, here ^ represents derivative,i.e it is dot.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    v=wxr , x:cross product symbol v=300j-400i I dont know where I should use this v and its relation with another V which is 50i +45 j as given in the problem.In this problem I dont clearly understand whether w is belongs to radius or moving coordinates.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?