1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A meterstaff

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    A meterstaff who weights 0,12 kg is moveable around of it's ends. In the other staff it hangs a weight of 0,50 kg. The staff is hold in a line by a dynamometer, who is fastened in the middle of the staff. What does the dynamometer show?

I take 0,12*0,50*6,67*10^-11 =4,002*10^-12 / 1^2 =4,002*10^-12

Which is totaly wrong this should be -11

tell me how to do this im totaly lost

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am also lost. I got that way trying to read your problem, Could you look for a better translation?

4. Oct 11, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, not bad English- not compared to my (put whatever language you like here!).

You have a meter stick pinned to a wall by one end (so that end cannot go up or down but the stick can swing about that point). There is a mass of 0.5 kg at the other end and there is a support at the center of the stick, which itself has mass 0.12 kg. What is the force exerted on the stick by that support?

5. Oct 11, 2005 #4
    Gahh

You know I was using the the the F=Gm1m2/r2 and G is Constant of Gravitation = 6,667*10^-11
    Yeah now that I calulated it I also got 0,56 because i thought in another way... but how do I resolv F I'm like this :confused: :confused: :confused: it stands nothing in my book!

I added a pic to those who dont understand my english !!!

Thx

Attached Files:

• Pic.JPG
      Pic.JPG
      File size:
      4.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Oct 11, 2005 #5
    Is this the way

The Force for the weight is 0,56nM and then the force must be utilised on the other side to so 0,56+0,56 * 9,82 =10,984=11nM

7. Oct 11, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, exactly.

(It would be more correct (in English, at least) to say the "torque" rather than the force, is 0,56 Nm- in any language you shouldn't use the word "force" with two different meanings. {But who am I to talk, we use "pounds" for both mass and force!})

The formula I gave you was 0,5F= 0,56g so that F= 0.56g/0,5= (0,56)(9,81)/0,5. That gives the same thing.

I hope you realize that you are NOT calculating F by (Gm1m2)/r2. You certainly don't need that for things happening on the surface of the earth!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?