A million dollar poster may be in your grandma's basement

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poster
In summary: I've only seen the original Metropolis on PBS years ago.In summary, Metropolis is a unique, classic work that is anticipated to sell for a record setting one million dollars. None of the known copies exist, but apparently most collectors believe that one or several should. The painting that was recently sold for $25 million is not typical Jackson Pollock work, but it is worth watching if you're a fan of his art.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The poster, or properly called the one-sheet for the U.S. release of Fritz Lang's 1925 masterpiece Metropolis, is expected to sell for up to a record setting one million dollars; if one can be found. None are known to exist, but apparently most collectors believe that one or several should.

This just happened to catch my attention on a PBS spot, and since I know that we have a few Metropolis fans here...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Then there's that woman that bought that piece of cr@p by that famous abstract artist that looks like someone had a bad day cleaning their paintbrush by spattering a canvas. She paid $5 at a junk sale and it turned out to be worth $25 million. His name starts with a "P" I think. Anyone know who I am talking about?

The "painting" is hideous. It's a bunch of dark colored splatters of paint. It's garbage.

I doubt my grandmother's basement has anything that valuable. But if you're interested in wall-to-wall plastic blueberry containers or plastic bags from the produce section of the grocery store, I can probably find those. I'm certain there are paper grocery sacks, old newspapers and about 20 bottles of out-dated salad dressing that she found on sale several years ago. My grandmother reached that packratting age some time ago and I truly dread the day we have to clean out her basement. I'm somewhat wondering how many dumpsters we'll have to order. :bugeye: She has it all pretty densely packed, so I don't even think an estimate of the volume of the basement will quite cover it when we start tossing stuff.

Sorry to sidetrack, yes, Metropolis was unique.

Then there's that woman that bought that piece of cr@p by that famous abstract artist that looks like someone had a bad day cleaning their paintbrush by spattering a canvas. She paid $5 at a junk sale and it turned out to be worth $25 million. His name starts with a "P" I think. Anyone know who I am talking about?

The "painting" is hideous. It's a bunch of dark colored splatters of paint. It's garbage.

Jackson Pollock? I like his work, it's extremely well thought out and very aesthetic, just my impression of it.

Evo said:
Metropolis was unique.
Oh, I love the movie; esp the 80s release by Georgio Moroder. I just happened to spot it one day in a video store, and having no idea what it was, took it home. WOW! I mean, WOW!. I was completely floored. Only then did I learn of the nearly cult status of the movie.

Evo said:

Sounds like some of Jackson Pollock's work.

m-cathedrl.jpg

or

pollock.fathom-five.jpg

Last edited:
Astronuc said:

m-cathedrl.jpg

or

pollock.fathom-five.jpg
YES, THAT'S IT! OMG, how'd you figure that out?

Uhm, yes, his works are truly great. :yuck:

rachmaninoff said:
Jackson Pollock? I like his work, it's extremely well thought out and very aesthetic, just my impression of it.
WHAT? I'm sorry, but I've had bouts of intestinal flu that looked better than his paintings.

Okay Astronuc, its your question.

Whoops, wrong thread :tongue2:

Evo said:
WHAT? I'm sorry, but I've had bouts of intestinal flu that looked better than his paintings.
:rofl: When I see stuff like that, I keep thinking I really need to save the drop cloths from when I paint rooms, they might be artwork. :uhh:

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh, I love the movie; esp the 80s release by Georgio Moroder. I just happened to spot it one day in a video store, and having no idea what it was, took it home. WOW! I mean, WOW!. I was completely floored. Only then did I learn of the nearly cult status of the movie.
I've only seen the original Metropolis on PBS years ago.

It also brings to mind that sideshow freak classic they aired on AMC.

I can't think tonight. :frown:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: When I see stuff like that, I keep thinking I really need to save the drop cloths from when I paint rooms, they might be artwork. :uhh:
That's exactly what they look like. :rofl:

Evo said:
I can't think tonight. :frown:

BTM

You should rent the Moroder version which has a rock soundtrack and some restored scenes. IIRC, you would like most of the music.

Evo said:
YES, THAT'S IT! OMG, how'd you figure that out?
I heard about on NPR awhile ago - they made a big fuss about Pollock. :rolleyes: Hey - rachmaninoff knew about Pollock too!

Another reason for me to get off this planet, or at least find a quiet corner well away from civilization.

Evo said:
Uhm, yes, his works are truly great. :yuck:
Yeah, pretty much my impression.

Evo said:
:rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Okay Astronuc, its your question.

Whoops, wrong thread
Question or caption?

Moonbear said:
When I see stuff like that, I keep thinking I really need to save the drop cloths from when I paint rooms, they might be artwork.
One never knows. :rolleyes: They might very well be, especially if one puts a lot of thought into the splatters. :biggrin:

Evo said:
:rofl: :rofl:
I feel the same way about most of Picasso's stuff, and almost all new abstract artists. (Pretty much anyone who thinks that his work is 'important' is a joke. Give me a good landscape or SF cover art any time.) Strangely enough, although I've never seen Pollock's work before, I like these 2.
My mother was somewhat surprised to read somewhere that a first edition "Anne of Green Gables" is worth a couple of grand. She has 3 of them under her bed, along with a ton of other stuff. Her aunt gave her and 2 of her sisters one each when they were new, and she has them all because she's the only surviving woman. (Her 94 year old brother is still alive, but he doesn't read things like that.) I have tons of crap around here that's at least 70 years old, and a lot from the mid-1800's. Some of it (even the new stuff like my 'Death of Phoenix' X-Men comic) is probably worth more than the house. :rolleyes:

Astronuc said:
One never knows. :rolleyes: They might very well be, especially if one puts a lot of thought into the splatters. :biggrin:
I put a lot of thought into the colors, does that count? And they're much better colors than Pollock used! :approve:

Moonbear said:
I put a lot of thought into the colors, does that count? And they're much better colors than Pollock used! :approve:
I imagine color thought counts. :biggrin: Hold on to those rags.

Astronuc said:

m-cathedrl.jpg

or

pollock.fathom-five.jpg
that pollok :mad: he stole my canvas!

nobody can tell what he picture really was? well you see, I was painting a picture of a vase. I read in the caption comp thread that zoob and danger were twins, and threw up all over it. after a few days, it was stinking, so I put it under my neighbor's tree and it was the perfect target for the birds

need I say more?

1. What is a million dollar poster?

A million dollar poster is a poster that is considered to have a high value and can potentially sell for one million dollars or more.

2. How can a poster be worth that much money?

A poster can be worth a million dollars if it is rare, historically significant, and in good condition. Factors such as the artist, age, and subject matter also play a role in determining its value.

3. How can a poster end up in someone's basement?

Posters can end up in someone's basement if they were acquired by the owner through inheritance, purchase, or as a gift. It is also possible that the poster was forgotten or stored away for safekeeping and ended up in the basement.

4. How do I know if a poster in my grandma's basement is worth a million dollars?

You can determine the potential value of a poster by researching its background, artist, and rarity. You can also consult with a professional appraiser or auction house to get a more accurate assessment.

5. What should I do if I think I have a million dollar poster in my grandma's basement?

If you believe you have a valuable poster in your possession, it is recommended to seek professional advice from an appraiser or auction house. They can provide an accurate valuation and guide you on the next steps, such as selling or properly preserving the poster.