Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A million to one chance

1. Jul 23, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I did some thing i have not done before, i nipped out of work to get fish and chips, on the way out of the chip shop a guy stoped me and asked ( excuse me can you tell me where i can get gas) ???? It turned out that this guy knew me from middle school,later he had gone to catholic school and i went to high school ,after his family had moved to Australia, and he then moved to the US, but for the love of nora i do not remember him, yet in the short time we had he related events and people i knew were true, but then the shock set in, i have no memory prior to my 21st birthday party, even that is vauge, and yet when told of some thing that happened in the past, i have (flash backs) and seem to know that they happened, now i know i have had a few bumps to the noggin but can this be the sole reason my memory has almost gone?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2006 #2
    Hi Daimon,

It might help stimulating your memory if you could get hold of pictures of those periods or any paperwork.

Incidently bumping into a person of the past is not that rare. Certainly, when considering the chance to meet a certain person at a certain time is infinitesimal small. However meeting one of the many old friends one of these years is not such an impossibility.

4. Jul 23, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Rock on Andre, i read all your suff, and think you seem to know some thing about it :approve: :approve: I have a few poor pictures of a chubby guy that looks nothing like me.

5. Jul 23, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I've had perhaps two similar experiences - once standing in line waiting to see a movie (someone from elementary school whom I hadn't seen in 12 years was standing right behind me), and the other time in an airport in Europe where I ran into someone I hadn't seen in about 14-15 years.

Neither circumstance involved the separation of time which you mentioned, Woolie.

6. Jul 23, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are a lot of people, apparently, who remember me from high school, but I don't remember them. I just didn't take a lot of notice of things people did if they weren't in my classes (it was a huge school). There are even a number of people whose faces I remember, but not their names at all. And of those whose faces I remember, I wonder if I'd recognize them at all this many years later. But, once in a while I bump into someone who remembers me, and I don't remember them at all. For instance, my roommate in college ended up dating a guy I went to high school with, and even just a year out of high school at the time, I had no recollection of who this guy was, but he immediately recognized me. :uhh: Of course, this doesn't just happen to me with high school classmates. I meet people at conferences that I'm really quite certain I've never before been introduced to, yet they already know who I am! It sometimes makes me a bit nervous, because I wonder if I've met them and don't remember, and am risking insulting someone for not remembering who they are, or what it is that I've done that they remember me for if we haven't actually met in person.

7. Jul 23, 2006 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know about you guys, but I remember almost everything and I mean almost everything down to conversations and possibly roughly what time of year it was! Or day!

I forget names, but not of people I know normally. If I just meet someone, especially at the bar, I forget their name within 5 minutes or by the end of the night. Girl or guy.

Yeah, I remember plenty, but then again I'm only turning 23. High school isn't too far. As for junior high (grades 7 and 8) I remember lots, and for Grades 7 6 5 4 3 2 and I remember a bit from grade 1 and pre-school. It gets blurry after that, but then again I'm far too young then to acknowledge anything. I found that I connect everything in my memory to school. As long as I think school, I remember events in and out of school and during the summer months.

Maybe when I'm older I'll forget. Who knows.

8. Jul 23, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh! That would be hilarious not remembering someone who's important. It sucks but it's funny because they are important but not important enough to remember.

The only reason meeting people from the past sucks for me is because the whole school knew who I was from plays that I did, the talent show :surprised , and I worked at the cafetaria (everyone's dream job!).

9. Jul 23, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Well if you guys were around in my youth i am sure i would not have forgoten you, the gableadictum :biggrin: (was that space patrol)? the
    captain scarlet, now bearded :biggrin: : and the road runner ess::uhh: :uhh: Evo, and spock, grow some pointy ears ears Jason :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?