Photodiode Model: Exploring Lower Voltage and No Load Resistance

• Thread starter wirefree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary: I forget the project. I think we were trying to bring up an old satellite dish. Anyway, there was a light in the clear package on one of the diodes, and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.
wirefree
Homework Statement
Obtain open-circuit voltage for the shown circuit
Relevant Equations
1. Diode equation with ratio of diode to thermal voltages in the exponent
2. Ohm's Law
I greatly appreciate this opportunity to submit a query, and apologise for posting two simultaneous, but unrelated, queries on the forum.

I simply wonder if a lower than prescribed diode voltage (0.65V) for a given I_naught be considered for the case when there is no load resistor.

1565195943118.png
wirefree

Physics news on Phys.org
So by "open circuit" you mean if there is no load resistor connected?

Also, photodiodes are not normally operated in forward bias. Does the problem really specify a photodiode? If so, which one? Can you link to the datasheet?

For a good answer to this question, it's best to check out representative datasheets to see what they list for the v-i curves and values of Is, IMO.

Likes wirefree
I'm not clear about what Io is. As berkemen said, it's unusual to see in a photodiode circuit. However, without the load resistor, the diode current will be larger and so will it's forward voltage, not less. The diode voltage can be determined from the diode equation in part 1, plus (in practice) maybe some series resistance.

Many thanks for the responses. I am encouraged to enquire more.

My query arises from the given question, where the current source in parallel with a diode is simply a "model" for the photodiode.
1565282816696.png
I wondered what current would flow through the diode when there's no load attahced. Would it simply be Io, in which case Threshold Voltage breaches the given threshold of 0.65V by a few mV on the lower side.

I believe I've addressed berkeman as well as DaveE.wirefree

The model has a problem, IMO. The current source should be in series with the photodiode, not in parallel. When there is no load attached to an illuminated photodiode, there is no current flow (aside from a reverse leakage current balanced by a slight net forward photocurrent). When you attach a load to the photodiode terminals, you get a photocurrent that generates a voltage across the load. That voltage is limited by the characteristics of the photodiode (or photovoltaic cell or LED, etc.).

Here is a picture that I took for another thread a couple months ago. It shows that when you shine a light on a common LED (a desk lamp is shining down from above in the picture), it generates a voltage across the DMM's input resistance.

1565284739996.png

berkeman said:
when you shine a light on a common LED (a desk lamp is shining down from above in the picture), it generates a voltage across the DMM's input resistance.
Yes, all diodes are photodiodes to some extent. I recall a troubleshooting problem I had once that was due to light on a diode in a clear package (the old axial 1N4148, I think). Switched to a diode in black plastic and solved it, but not before I was very confused for a while.

Likes berkeman
The circuit from the first post is fine. If you remove the load resistance, all of the current from the current source will go through the diode. You can calculate the voltage with the diode equation. Ohms law won't be needed because there are no resistors left in the model.

Photodiodes are normally used in reversed bias if accurate measurements are needed. If you connect the photodiode in series with a resistor in reverse bias, the voltage across the resistor will be proportional to the photocurrent.
If you do not use a reverse bias, the voltage will be set by the diode equation, and you will find that it will vary only little even with a large variation of the photocurrent.

This circuit without reverse bias is used for solar cells. If you used reverse bias the cell would consume electric energy instead of producing it.

willem2 said:
Photodiodes are normally used in reversed bias if accurate measurements are needed.
If you mean linearity of the response, then the most accurate configuration is to force zero volt bias across the diode. However, you are correct that they are usually used in the reverse bias mode to speed up the response. The zero volt bias has large junction capacitance and thus slow response. The worst choice for linearity is forward bias (voltage mode), like the way a PV generates power.

DaveE said:
Yes, all diodes are photodiodes to some extent. I recall a troubleshooting problem I had once that was due to light on a diode in a clear package (the old axial 1N4148, I think). Switched to a diode in black plastic and solved it, but not before I was very confused for a while.
Yep, I've been there too. One of the worst ones when we were bringing up a new ASIC in prototype ceramic packages that had open tops that you could glue metal lids on. We had the lids off trying to figure out a strange behavior when we realized that it was the light falling on the open IC that was causing the really weird behavior of the IC. Duh! o0)

Likes Tom.G
Many thanks to all senior members and mentors who have posted here. I am proceeding with the information you have provided.

I am required to find two quantities next: (1) voltage across the diode with no load, and (2) voltage across a load that is at a resistance that affords maximum power transfer.

(1) I have obtained per willem2's suggestion. It is merely the diode threshold voltage, as dictated by I_naught, which, as I mentioned, came out to be a few mV lower than the prescribed 0.65V.

I need some clarifications pertaining to (2). For maximum power, of course, Maximum Power Theorem holds. My concern is: which resistance do I match the load against?

All thoughts appreciated.
wirefree

wirefree said:
I need some clarifications pertaining to (2). For maximum power, of course, Maximum Power Theorem holds. My concern is: which resistance do I match the load against?
The Maximum Power Theorem does not hold for here. That only works if you have a voltage source in series with a resistor.
You'll have to find a equation for the voltage V across the diode. If you know that you can compute the current through the load, so you also know what the current through the diode is, and you can use the diode equation to derive an equation for V. Once you have that find the load resistance RL that maximizes V2/RL

Thank you, willem2, for taking this forward.

It seems I didn’t comprehend your solution from your earlier post.

Voltage across the diode I already have, or don’t I? I believe we agreed that the voltage is back-calculated for the current Io, and it comes out to be 0.626 mV.

Next, I am tackling, with your guidance, the resistance issue. And I found this to get me started...

1565784318906.png
It’s explained in the document from which the above diagram is culled that Rf can be assumed to a mere ~50 Ohms.

To address your concern about the Max Power Thm holding true for voltage source in series with a resistance, clearly Thevenin’s gives me an equivalent model for the circuit given. To go ahead from that is where I seek advice.

Thank you.

1. What is a photodiode model and how does it work?

A photodiode model is a mathematical representation of a photodiode, which is a semiconductor device that converts light into an electrical current. The model takes into account the diode's physical properties, such as its size, material, and structure, and uses equations to predict its behavior under different conditions.

2. Why is it important to explore lower voltage and no load resistance in a photodiode model?

Lower voltage and no load resistance are two key parameters that affect the performance of a photodiode. By exploring these values in the model, scientists can better understand how the diode will behave in different environments and how to optimize its performance for specific applications.

3. How is the photodiode model used in research and development?

The photodiode model is used in research and development to design and optimize photodiodes for various applications, such as in optical communication, sensing, and imaging. By simulating the behavior of the diode under different conditions, researchers can make informed decisions about its design and performance.

4. What are some limitations of the photodiode model?

One limitation of the photodiode model is that it is a simplified representation of the actual device. It does not take into account all the factors that may affect its performance, such as temperature, aging, and external factors like noise and interference. Additionally, the model may not accurately predict the behavior of the diode in extreme conditions or when it is used in combination with other components.

5. How can the photodiode model be improved in the future?

To improve the photodiode model, researchers can incorporate more complex equations and factors, such as thermal effects and noise, to make it more accurate. They can also validate the model's predictions through experimental testing and adjust the equations accordingly. Additionally, advancements in technology and materials may require updates to the model to better reflect the behavior of newer photodiodes.