1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A module problem

1. May 5, 2007 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let R be a commutative ring, with subring S.

Let M be an R-module.

Does there exist a S-module N such that [itex]N \otimes_S R \cong M[/itex] as R-modules? Preferably with N a sub-S-module of M?

Even better, can we choose such modules N so that if we have an R-module homomorphism
    f:M --> M'​
    it yields an S-module homomorphism
    g:N --> N'​
    so that

Code (Text):
            N (x) R ---> M
            |            |
    g (x) R |            | f
            V            V
            N' (x) R --> M'

(with the horizontal arrows the aforementioned isomorphisms)

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Is the simple answer. Such a module, M, I would be tempted to call S-free.

For a well understood (by me) counter example, I like to think of group algebras. The functor [itex]?\otimes_{kH}kG[/itex] is the induction functor, and it is certainly not essentially surjective - though it is true, that every module is a summand of a kH-free object for some H (called the vertex subgroup, and this is a lovely theory of Green's from the 50s.

In general, you're probably asking for an equivalence of categories here, given by restriction from R to S.

4. May 5, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't think it'd be that easy, but I couldn't see how to go about constructing a counterexample.

I'm hoping to find circumstances for which, if I had two maps R --> T with S their equalizer, that S-mod --> R-mod would resemble an equalizer of the induced functors R --> T. And if not in Cat, then in what sort of 2-category it does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?