1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A mol question

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    how do you work out the amount of mole Chlorine ions in 13.4g of nickel chloride(NiCl2). i don't know how to use the n=m/M with ions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

[tex](mass NiCl_2)(\frac{1 mole NiCl_2}{grams NiCl_2})(\frac{moles Cl}{moles NiCl2})[/tex]

put some values into the equation and everything should work out.
    I really wish Latex understood what a space bar does.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    [tex](mass \ NiCl_2)(\frac{1 \ mole \ NiCl_2}{grams \ NiCl_2})(\frac{moles \ Cl}{moles \ NiCl2})[/tex]

Try adding \ in between the words you want seperating.

Back to the question. Personally (maybe because my knowledge of equations is not as great as some) I would find the percentage of chlorine in the coumpound by using the molar mass of the coumpound and the two elements in it. Then I would find the mass of chlorine (using the percentage) and then find how many moles that was by dividing by the molar mass of chlorine.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  5. Apr 15, 2005 #4
    Whenever it comes to calculating moles, mass, molarity etc. always use units as a guide. What you have now is 13.4g NiCl2, and how to convert from g to moles.

From the periodic table, you can calculate the molar mass of NiCl2 to get 1 mol / ?g NiCl2. Also, how many moles of Cl are there in 1 mol of NiCl2?

13.4g NiCl2 x 1mol NiCl2 / ?g NiCl2 x ?mol Cl / 1mol NiCl2 = no of mol Cl

Hope this helps! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?