A monkey who controls a video game with his mind

In summary, the scientist discovered that a monkey's brain could control a robotic arm simply by playing a video game, and this technology may one day help people with disabilities.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Very interesting clip about a scientist who mapped neuron cell firing patterns in a monkey's brain while the monkey was playing a simple video game. The scientist then makes a breakthrough discovery that you will see...

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/94291/Monkey_Controls_Robotic_Arm_w_Brain.html

WHEN DONE WATCHING THE VIDEO READ BELOW HERE:

I sort of wished the video clip showed more footage of the monkey's bare mind playing the video game at the end. It would have been nice to see if his skills were better, worse or the same the at playing with his bare mind VS. his joystick motor skills.
What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Unfortunately I couldn't get the replay, but these sorts of cyborg experiments are within the realm of bleeding edge med sci. There are a number of cyborgs out there overcoming devastating spinal injuries with the same or similar tech.

as to your other question? I think that's pretty interesting. If the brain was the perfect executor of whatever programme, its a done deal, get rid of anything bewteen it and actuators. A notion I'm not entirely believing of is muscle memory. There are neurns around but usually in a highly branched tree structure, and without interconnections, In other words all the control would appear to be upstream. Now is it possible for some fine tuning to be provided subcortically, No doubt.

Last edited:
denverdoc said:
as to your other question? I think that's pretty interesting. If the brain was the perfect executor of whatever programme, its a done deal, get rid of anything bewteen it and actuators. A notion I'm not entirely believing of is muscle memory. There are neurns around but usually in a highly branched tree structure, and without interconnections, In other words all the control would appear to be upstream. Now is it possible for some fine tuning to be provided subcortically, No doubt.

Yes. I think your analysis is spot on and very well written.

1. How is the monkey able to control the video game with his mind?

The monkey is equipped with a device called a brain-computer interface, which translates the electrical signals from the monkey's brain into commands that control the video game.

2. What type of training is involved in teaching the monkey to control the video game with his mind?

The monkey undergoes extensive training to learn how to use the brain-computer interface. This typically involves a combination of classical conditioning and operant conditioning techniques.

3. Is this technology only applicable to monkeys or can it be used with other animals?

While the example of a monkey controlling a video game with his mind is often used in research, this technology has been successfully used with a variety of animals, including rats, dogs, and even dolphins.

4. What potential applications does this technology have?

This technology has a wide range of potential applications, including helping individuals with disabilities to control devices with their minds, improving brain-computer interfaces for medical purposes, and even enhancing human performance in tasks such as gaming or driving.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding this technology?

As with any new technology, there are ethical considerations that need to be addressed. Some of the concerns include the potential for exploitation of animals, invasion of privacy, and the need for clear guidelines and regulations for the use of this technology.