A mono-energetic alpha beam

In summary, a mono-energetic alpha beam is a type of particle beam consisting of alpha particles with the same energy. It is produced through ionization and has various applications in scientific research and medical treatments. The energy of the beam can be measured using a magnetic spectrometer. Its advantages include high precision and a well-defined energy, making it useful for specific targeting and manipulation.
Hayool
Hi,
upload_2016-3-26_17-17-34.png

I calculated the scattered angle & the kinematic factors for both Al & Au to be

upload_2016-3-26_17-32-48.png

Is what I did right?
Also
upload_2016-3-26_17-36-10.png

E (Alpha) = stopping power x depth
= 250 x 0.5 = 125 keV
As for the maximum & the minimum scattered energy i didn't know how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any feedback would be appreciated, I'm really struggling.

1. What is a mono-energetic alpha beam?

A mono-energetic alpha beam is a type of particle beam that consists of alpha particles, which are helium nuclei with a positive charge. The term "mono-energetic" means that all the particles in the beam have the same energy.

2. How is a mono-energetic alpha beam produced?

A mono-energetic alpha beam can be produced through the process of ionization, where atoms are stripped of their electrons and become positively charged ions. The ions are then accelerated using an electric field, resulting in a beam of particles with a specific energy.

3. What are the applications of a mono-energetic alpha beam?

A mono-energetic alpha beam has various applications in scientific research, particularly in the fields of nuclear physics and material science. It can also be used in medical treatments, such as radiation therapy for cancer patients.

4. How is the energy of a mono-energetic alpha beam measured?

The energy of a mono-energetic alpha beam can be measured using a device called a magnetic spectrometer, which uses a magnetic field to deflect the particles based on their energy. By measuring the deflection, the energy of the particles can be determined.

5. What are the advantages of using a mono-energetic alpha beam over other types of particle beams?

A mono-energetic alpha beam has the advantage of being highly focused and precise, making it useful for targeting specific areas or particles in experiments or medical treatments. It also has a well-defined energy, making it easier to control and manipulate compared to other types of particle beams.