1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A moon is orbiting around the planet with a constant distance of 4.0 x 10^8 with

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    A moon is orbiting around the planet with a constant distance of 4.0 x 10^8 with....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question/w formulas are in attachment.

I know I've been given two masses, 5.5 and 7.35 x 10^ 22 kg, and a distance of 4.0 x 10^8. But what I don't understand is the speed of 950 m/s and the 1/4 distance part. I know you use the formula F=Gm1m2/r^2 formula but what do you do with the velocity that is given and how do you find the 1/4 the distance apart?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi vipson231! :smile:
    the gravitational force will be the centripetal acceleration times the mass :wink:

4. Nov 23, 2012 #3
    Re: A moon is orbiting around the planet with a constant distance of 4.0 x 10^8 with.

I already got the answer. Thank you for the clarification though =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook