A Moveable Cross wire and a Function of Time

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with a moveable cross wire, a resistance of 2.5 Ω, a battery voltage of 5 V, and a uniform magnetic field of 0.3 T. The current is calculated to be 2 A and the force on the wire is 0.072 N. To determine the function of time for the wire's movement, we can use the equation F = ma to find the acceleration and then use the equations of motion to determine the velocity. We can also use the equation F = ILB to find the current as a function of time.
RedPotato

Homework Statement

A circuit with a moveable cross wire is indicated in attached figure. The resistance is 2.5 Ω, the battery voltage is 5 V, the moveable wire length is 12 cm, and there is a uniform, constant magnetic field into the plane of the circuit (the page) with magnitude 0.3 T. (a) What is the current if the moveable wire is locked into position? (b) What is the force on the moveable wire at the moment it is released from the locked position? (c) If there is an opposing force of 0.02 N on the wire, how fast will it move as a function of the time after release?

Homework Equations

EMF= −N dΦBdt
I = ε/R
F = I ∫ dL X B

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I got parts a and b (which could be wrong). Since the wire isn't moving initially there is not magnetic flux, so I just calculated the current to be the given Voltage divided by the Resistance (2 A). Then I calculated the force with F=ILB and go .072 N. What I'm confused about is how to get the function of time with regard to the changing are once the wire starts moving. Please help and also verify I did the first 2 parts correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I believe your calculations for parts (a) and (b) are correct. For part (c), we can use the equation F = ma to determine the acceleration of the wire. We know the force acting on the wire (0.02 N) and we can calculate the mass of the wire using its length and the density of the material it is made of. Once we have the acceleration, we can use the equations of motion to determine the velocity of the wire as a function of time. We can also use the equation F = ILB to determine the current as a function of time, since the magnetic field and length of the wire are constant. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is a Moveable Cross wire?

A Moveable Cross wire is a scientific instrument used to measure the distance between two points or objects in space.

2. How does a Moveable Cross wire work?

A Moveable Cross wire works by using a thin wire or thread that is stretched between two points. The wire has markings or a scale on it, and the user can adjust the wire to measure the distance between the two points.

3. What is the function of time in relation to a Moveable Cross wire?

The function of time is important when using a Moveable Cross wire because it allows for the measurement of distance to be recorded and tracked over a period of time. This can be useful in various experiments and studies.

4. What are the applications of a Moveable Cross wire?

A Moveable Cross wire has many applications in the scientific field, including astronomy, physics, and engineering. It can be used to measure distances in space, determine the velocity of objects, and track changes in position over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Moveable Cross wire?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Moveable Cross wire. It may not be suitable for measuring large distances or distances in extreme environments. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements may be affected by factors such as temperature and tension of the wire.