Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A "my posts" link

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

A useful link for the "Forums" drop down menu would be one for "my posts" - meaning the results of a search for the current user's own posts..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

But it's so readily available under "MY PF", why duplicate it?

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Why not duplicate it? Redundancy of important things is useful.

And I don't find "Your content" to be a self-explanatory title or one that "jumps out at me", especially in a two column menu.

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It adds an additional element to the interface, but no additional functionality.

I think the watched threads feature is much more useful anyway.

6. Nov 29, 2014 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Agreed, but that's an argument based on economy of interfaces and perhaps economy of maintaining interfaces. My argument concerns convenience of the interface to the user.

7. Nov 29, 2014 #6

Evo

if you click on your avatar, it takes you to "your profile" go to "postings", all of your posts are listed there.

8. Nov 30, 2014 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If we're concerned with redundancy, we should get rid of that feature immediately! :rolleyes:

9. Nov 30, 2014 #8

jtbell

Or even quicker, click on the number of posts in the lower left corner of the avatar on any post, and it takes you directly to a list of that person's posts.

10. Nov 30, 2014 #9

mfb

2016 Award

I don't see any convenience in having the same link multiple times at nearly the same place. It is completely redundant, against the usual way how menus work ("sort x links into y groups") and just fills up the menu with useless elements because you don't need both links. Imagine everyone would like to have his or her favorite link in two menus. They would get twice their current size.

Having the link in posts is different - most posts are from different posters where the top menu does not give a direct link to the list of posts. The link in your own posts is there for consistency.

11. Nov 30, 2014 #10

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

My postion is that I see convenience in having a link of "My posts" that is an obvious and, if possible, a "one click" way to view one's own posts. It seems to me the "logical" place for it is with the other links to groups of threads in the "Forums" menu. I'm not advocating redundancy for the sake of redundancy. I just don't consider redundancy to be an argument against convenience.

From the standpoint of convenience, I don't like the drop-down menus. (They drop down at inconvenient times and cover up things I'm trying to see.) I'd rather see some direct functionality across the top of a page. I suppose this type of forum software is built for the drop-downs. so the "one click" wish can't be fulfilled.

12. Nov 30, 2014 #11
    As stated before we have "your content". However that shows conversations and more, not just posts.

Drop downs are a way to organize and optimize screen space. There isn't enough room in the header to put all the links and even if there was it would be a total mess. Also think about the fact that a quarter of our members visit PF on a mobile device.

13. Nov 30, 2014 #12

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I do tend to ignore that fact. I don't browse the web with anything that has a tiny screen, so it isn't clear to me how the format of the forum get translated to show up on such a screen.

Each person has an individual idea about what organization is. I prefer that things be organized so the one's I do most often are the quickest and most obvious. Someone with a different point of view might think, for example, that a link to "Personal details" should have an equal standing with "My Content" or even precede it in the interface because "Personal Details" and "My Content" both pertain to the person using the forum. Since I'm going want to see "My Content" several thousand times more often than "Personal Details", I don't consider those links to be in the same league.

I'll emphasize this contrast further. I tend to read items on web page from left to right. So the order of the drop down menus in my idea of organization would put the most frequently used items on the left. For me, those menus would be "Alerts" and "Forums". I can see that someone whose idea of organization gives priority to the "importance" of the content of the links rather than their frequency of use probably likes having "My PF" in the leftmost position becauseit has links to sensitive things like "Personal Details".

14. Nov 30, 2014 #13

russ_watters

Not directly it doesn't. I'm not a big fan of the pop-up mini-profile that you have to click through to get to the real profile.
    Ahh, now that's a good one. Thanks! That'll make crackpot tracking faster for me!

15. Nov 30, 2014 #14
    What information are you trying to find that is not in the mini popup?

16. Nov 30, 2014 #15

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Other posts.

17. Nov 30, 2014 #16

RonL

Gold Member

Yikes!!:nb):eek::D

18. Nov 30, 2014 #17
    The message count is a link. Is that what you mean?

19. Nov 30, 2014 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's what I meant.

20. Nov 30, 2014 #19
    I'm sorry, what about it? I'm still confused :)

21. Dec 3, 2014 #20

russ_watters

Well, other posts until I just learned you could get it from the posts count. But also infraction history.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook