Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A myth from a fallen civilization?

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    Recently I got around to seeing the movie, and I can't believe people take this crap seriously. Y2K, as hyped up as it was, at least was originally based on a real problem. But this? Come on, a myth from a fallen civilization? Lame, but it is funny to laugh at the people stupid enough to believe in this nonsense.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2
    Re: 2012

As far as I understand it was not even a myth. It just so happens to be the end of that particular calender like December 31st of our yearly calender.

4. May 1, 2010 #3

2012 is a banned subject, but maybe it's still interesting sociologically to observe the urge of people to be a part of a scare cycle, actively or passively.

5. May 1, 2010 #4

It seems to me this is not about the "doomsday" concept as it is about the movie. Maybe we can debunk the "science" of the movie. I have not seen it, but I heard something of the effect "heating the Earth crust with neutrinos". For instance :rofl:

6. May 1, 2010 #5

It's based on a misunderstanding or just laziness. Like Ape said, it would be like looking at our calender and assuming we're predicting the world will end December 31st.

7. May 1, 2010 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I thought world was scheduled to end yesterday, luckily I found out I can rip front card from my wall calendar and lo - there was May below.

8. May 1, 2010 #7

Evo

:rofl:

9. May 1, 2010 #8

great :approve: we may have another month to go.

10. May 1, 2010 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2012 is rather a self made problem, but like y2k most of the engineering is probably going to be ready on time.
    The operation of the event itself is probably going to be a bit of a farce and the after effects are obviously going to be devastating to the local area's finances for many years

The myth that despite a complete lack of support for the athletes or training facilities we could return to the days of the 80s when we didn't just win a couple of golds in 50yd single handed punting?

ps. I think it's a bit unfair to say a fallen civilisation - declined a little perhaps, but at least it was a civilisation.

11. May 1, 2010 #10

russ_watters

Fortunately, the movie only makes passing reference to the myth/hoax. It is otherwise just a generic disaster movie. I thought it was definitely worth the $1 I paid the RedBox to see it.

12. May 1, 2010 #11

May day!!!

May day!!!

May day!!!!!!

13. May 1, 2010 #12

The movie was produced (funded) by manufacturers of generators, wood stoves, guns, and survival packs----just as the Y2K dilemma /scare was

14. May 1, 2010 #13

I thought it was funny how massive holes just opened up in the earths crust. and a plane did some weird things, there was a giant ship or something. I don't remember the movie all that well.

15. May 1, 2010 #14

I bet the ghosts of Mayans are laughing their asses off at the monkeys running around thinking the end of a calender was a prediction of an apocalypse. People are so damaged...

16. May 1, 2010 #15

I don't know how one can manage to watch movies like that. I rarely managed to enjoy hollywood movies with exception of few like A beautiful mind, October sky, Schindler's list.

17. May 1, 2010 #16

You too huh? I used to love movies, and over time I've just drawn away from them. The stories in most are painfully abridged, and that's with a movie that ISN'T a vehicle for hysteria. The UK and Russia come out with some decent cinema however, and more countries besides. You do occasionally get those gems, but who wants to sift through yet another remake of Robin Hood?! :yuck:

Don't even get me started on "Dances With Smurfs".

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook