1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(A^n+B^n)^(1/n) limit stuff

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    If [tex]0<A<B[/tex] then

[tex]
    B < (A^n + B^n)^{1/n} < 2^{1/n} B,\quad\quad n=1,2,3,\ldots
    [/tex]

and by using knowledge [tex]2^{1/n}\to 1[/tex] as [tex]n\to\infty[/tex], we get

[tex]
    \lim_{n\to\infty} (A^n + B^n)^{1/n} = B.
    [/tex]

Now, I'm interested to know what can we say if [tex]-B<A<0<B[/tex]. With odd n the inequality

[tex]
    B\leq (A^n + B^n)^{1/n}
    [/tex]

is wrong, so there does not seem to be any reason to believe that the limit would still be B. But is the limit still B?

For example, set A=-1, B=2. The numbers

n, (-1)^n + 2^n, ((-1)^n + 2^n)^(1/n)

turn out as follows.

1, 1, 1
    2, 5, 2.2361...
    3, 7, 1.9129...
    4, 17, 2.0305...
    5, 31, 1.9873...
    6, 65, 2.0052...
    7, 127, 1.9978...

The 2^n appears to be dominating the limit quite well. Is the limit of this 2 really? What about more general conditions for A and B?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2
    I presume you meant |B| > A > 0 > B. (A^n + B^n)^1/n does not converge. This is best seen if you consider odd and even integers separately. If n only assumes even value, the expression converges to -B. If n assumes odd values, it converges to B. In a convergent sequence, every subsequence converges to the same value.

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3
    Sorry. I fixed the mistake with edit option.

5. Jul 4, 2008 #4
    I just realized it looks quite clear when you put it like this

[tex]
    (A^n + B^n)^{1/n} = B\underbrace{\Big(\underbrace{\big(\frac{A}{B}\big)^n}_{\to 0} + 1\Big)^{1/n}}_{\to 1} \to B,
    [/tex]

but I still encountered some problems with the proof...

If we know that the sequence of functions

[tex]
    f_n:[1-\delta, 1+\delta]\to\mathbb{R},\quad f_n(x)=(1+x)^{1/n}
    [/tex]

with fixed [tex]0<\delta <1[/tex], converges towards

[tex]
    f:[1-\delta, 1+\delta]\to\mathbb{R},\quad f(x)=1
    [/tex]

uniformly, then the proof should be done, right? Looks clear by picture. I'm not sure how the uniform convergence is proven properly.

6. Jul 4, 2008 #5
    Judging from what you were asking earlier, what you are implying is that B is negative (and so is A). If that's the case, factoring out B as you did is incorrect; (B^n)^1/n is not the same as B for an even n.

Yes, for every fixed x, f_n(x) does converge to 1 uniformly as n goes to infinity. However, we are interested in g_n(x) = K*f_n(x) where K = B if n is even and K = -B if n is odd. For any x in the said interval, g_n(x) does not converge as n goes to infinity (there is no limit).

Your argument works only in the case B is positive, in which case factoring out B is correct.

If I'm misunderstanding you, please pardon me.

7. Jul 4, 2008 #6
    You must have been left confused by my original typo. Now the original post assumes -B < 0 < B, so B is positive.

With fixed x the word uniform doesn't have a meaning. What is relevant is that the convergence is uniform in some environment of x=1.

8. Jul 4, 2008 #7
    If B is positive, what is the question exactly?

By uniform convergence, I understood that you meant that for any x' in [1 - delta, 1 + delta], f_n(x') would form a uniformly decreasing sequence.

9. Jul 4, 2008 #8
    The questions is that is the limit

[tex]
    \lim_{n\to\infty}(A^n+B^n)^{1/n} = B
    [/tex]

correct for all [tex]0<|A|<B[/tex]. I already knew how to prove the case [tex]0<A<B[/tex], but the case [tex]-B<A<0<B[/tex] seemed to be more difficult. However, I believe I already understood how this is proven too, provided that we know the one uniform convergence result mentioned in the post #4.

I don't know what it means for a sequence of numbers to converge uniformly or not uniformly. The sequence of functions [tex]f_n:[a,b]\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] converges uniformly towards a function [tex]f:[a,b]\to\mathbb{R}[/tex], if for all [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] there exists a number [tex]N\in\mathbb{N}[/tex] so that

[tex]
    n>N\quad\implies\quad \underset{x\in[a,b]}{\sup} |f_n(x)-f(x)| < \epsilon.
    [/tex]

10. Jul 4, 2008 #9
    ... environment of x=0. The domains should have been [tex][-\delta,\delta][/tex] too, instead of [tex][1-\delta, 1+\delta][/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook