1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A^n = e

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if a belongs to G where G is finite with identity e, then there exists a positive n such that a^n = e

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Someone tell me if i am reasoning correctly.

Suppose a^n is not equal to e.

By finiteness of G, a^n = b for some b belonging to G. Then b^t = (a^n)^t is not equal to e for any positive t. so G is infinite? i dunno i am stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2
    since a is in G, then the elements a, a^2, a^3, a^4, ... are also in G, but G is finite, so a^k = a^j for some j, k, say j < k, so a^(k-j) = e, set n = k - j, so a^n = e and n > 0.

realize what you proved, you proved that every element of a finite group has finite order.

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In your attempt, you assume b^t =/= e for all t, which isn't a great assumption, considering you're supposed to prove that (in this case given b) there IS t for which b^t=e

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?