Mastering Number Rules in Brackets: Understanding a^n/m and a^1/n = n'root'a

• Thread starter disregardthat
  • Start date
And if there is, you can usually use square brackets to help distinguish the different levels of parentheses! Even this is a bit much! {(2+ 3)[4- 5]}[{(2+ 3)}{[4- 5]}]
disregardthat
Science Advisor
My teacher gave us some rules about numbers in the power of brackets.

Like 2^1/2

It was: a^1/n= n'root'a

(instead of a square root (2'root') or cube root (3'root') it was n'root'.)

Anyway, that equation is correct, at least with the brackets i tryed it with. But when we get numbers that isn't "1/n", but "n/m" he gives us this equation:

a^n/m = (a^1/m)^n = (m'root'a)^n

This equation I can't make correct. For example: I do 2^3/2 on my calc, and it gives me this: "4"

I put it in the equation:

2^3/2 = (2^1/2)^3

When I write this new setup on my calc it gives me this: "1"

I put it in the other equation and do it on my calc:

2^3/2 = (2'root'2)^3

It gives me this: "2.8284..."

There are four possibilities:
- I must be doing it wrong
- The equation is incorrect
- My calc is broke
- The laws of mathematics have changed

I am terribly sorry for my topic, I just found out that I forgot to put the bracket power into these: ( )
:uhh: :uhh: I just leave it standing so it won't be spam until one of the mods deletes it... :frown:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are misusing the calculator

The third option is the correct answer.

The errors seem to be that you

1. cubed 2 to get 8 then divided 8 by 2 to get 4
2. You actually multiplied 2 by 1/2, rather than raising it to the power 1/2m, to get 1, then cubed 1.

yeah, I forgot the ('s...

So I raised the number to the power of 1 and then divided it by 2...
2^1/2
It really should stay like this: 2^(1/2)

When I do this it gets correct on my calc, sorry again...

Jarle said:
My teacher gave us some rules about numbers in the power of brackets.

Like 2^1/2

It was: a^1/n= n'root'a

(instead of a square root (2'root') or cube root (3'root') it was n'root'.)

Anyway, that equation is correct, at least with the brackets i tryed it with.
Brackets? Don't you mean just fractions?

But when we get numbers that isn't "1/n", but "n/m" he gives us this equation:

a^n/m = (a^1/m)^n = (m'root'a)^n

This equation I can't make correct. For example: I do 2^3/2 on my calc, and it gives me this: "4"

I put it in the equation:

2^3/2 = (2^1/2)^3

When I write this new setup on my calc it gives me this: "1"
Be careful about parentheses (Which really are a kind of "bracket". Was that what you meant?) If you enter 2^1/2 just as you have written, your calculator will interpret that as 2^1 = 2 and THEN divide by 2: (2^1)/2= 1 and, of course, the third power of that is 1. Use, instead, 2^(1/2)^3. That should give you 2.9294...

I put it in the other equation and do it on my calc:

2^3/2 = (2'root'2)^3

It gives me this: "2.8284..."

There are four possibilities:
- I must be doing it wrong
- The equation is incorrect
- My calc is broke
- The laws of mathematics have changed

I am terribly sorry for my topic, I just found out that I forgot to put the bracket power into these: ( )
:uhh: :uhh: I just leave it standing so it won't be spam until one of the mods deletes it... :frown:
You might have guessed it was the first of your four possiblities:rolleyes: !
But anyway, it is easy to fix. (A lot easier to fix than the fourth one would have been!)

Sorry, wrong word there, Indeed i meant "fractions" and not "brackets", or parantheses was it, is there any other kind of brackets? I didn't know.

Hehe, the last one was a joke :)

Do you still need help specifically with any of the mathematics or was it simply a calculator issue?

I don't need help, thank you :)

Just remember- there is no such thing as too many parentheses!

1. What does the equation A^n/m = Incorrect answer mean?

This equation means that the answer obtained when raising the number A to the power of n, and then dividing it by m, is incorrect.

2. Why is the equation A^n/m = Incorrect answer considered incorrect?

This equation is considered incorrect because it does not follow the rules of mathematics. The correct answer should be the result of the mathematical operations, not the phrase "Incorrect answer".

3. What could be the possible reasons for getting the result A^n/m = Incorrect answer?

There could be several reasons for getting this result. Some possible reasons include incorrect input values, using the wrong mathematical formula, or making a mistake during the calculation process.

4. How can I fix the equation A^n/m = Incorrect answer and get the correct result?

To fix this equation, you will need to review your input values, use the correct mathematical formula, and double-check your calculation process for any errors. You can also seek help from a math expert or use a calculator to ensure accuracy.

5. Is it possible for the equation A^n/m = Incorrect answer to give a correct result?

No, this equation cannot give a correct result. The phrase "Incorrect answer" indicates that the result is incorrect, and therefore, it is not possible for it to give a correct result.