Solving a Nasty Integral: Any Ideas?

• Thread starter WalkingInMud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
I misunderstood.In summary, the conversation is discussing the integration of a complex function involving sech(u) and its derivative, -tanh(u)sech(u). Some suggestions are made, such as using substitution or the generalized binomial expansion, but there is doubt about finding a simple solution. One person suggests using the hyperbolic secant function, while another points out a misunderstanding about the function being discussed.
WalkingInMud
Any Ideas on how to Approach this one? ...

[tex]\int\sqrt{[1-sech(u)]^{2}+ [-tanh(u)sech(u)]^{2}}du[/tex]

We have a [tex]sech(u)[/tex] and its derivative [tex]-tanh(u)sech(u)[/tex] and this suggests some sort of substitution maybe, but the radical makes it a bit nasty for Me.

Any Ideas? ...Thanks Heaps,

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you think there exists a primitive which can be expressed as a combinaton of "simple" function?

I doubt this will have a pretty substitution
Maybe use the generalized binomial expansion...

If that works you'll probably get a hypergeometric solution.

Hello there

I am not sure but I have few ideas and they might help.

[1-secH(X)]^2 becomes -tanH(X)

[cosX]^2 + [SinX]^2 = 1

Dvide by [cosX]^2 and you will have

1+[TanX]^2 = 1 over CosX^2 which [SecX]^2
1- [SecX]^2 = -[tanX]^2

The root of the first one is -[tanX] if I am not mistaken.
The Second one becomes [-SecH(x)]^2

This works if H is not a constant.

1. How do I know if an integral is considered "nasty"?

Integrals are considered "nasty" when they cannot be solved using traditional integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. They often involve complicated algebraic expressions, transcendental functions, or multiple variables.

2. What strategies can I use to solve a nasty integral?

Some strategies for solving a nasty integral include using trigonometric identities, making a clever substitution, or using partial fraction decomposition. It may also be helpful to break the integral into smaller parts and simplify as much as possible before attempting to solve it.

3. Are there any software programs or calculators that can solve nasty integrals?

Yes, there are software programs and online calculators that can solve nasty integrals. However, it is important to note that these programs may not always provide the most efficient or accurate solution. It is always beneficial to understand the steps and techniques used to solve an integral rather than solely relying on a computer program.

4. Can I use any shortcuts or tricks to solve a nasty integral?

While there are no specific shortcuts or tricks for solving nasty integrals, it is helpful to familiarize yourself with common integration techniques and identities. Additionally, practice and experience can also make solving these integrals easier over time.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a nasty integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a nasty integral include forgetting to apply the chain rule, making algebraic errors, and not simplifying the integral enough before attempting to solve it. It is also important to check your answer using differentiation to ensure it is correct.