What is the solution to the nested integral problem?

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the solution to the nested integral problem involves using the substitution method to simplify the inner integral and then evaluating the resulting expression using the fundamental theorem of calculus. This allows for the integration of a function with multiple nested variables, making it a powerful tool in solving complex problems in mathematics and physics. By breaking down the nested integral into smaller, more manageable parts, the solution can be found efficiently and accurately. This method is widely used in various fields, such as engineering and economics, to solve real-world problems.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
##\int_1^{\int_1^{\cdots}2xdx}2xdx##
Relevant Equations
Let ##u=\int_1^{u}2xdx##.
\begin{align}u=& \int_1^{u}2xdx=\big[x^2\big]_1^u\\
u=&u^2-1\end{align}
Which leads to ##u=\frac{1\pm\sqrt{1+4}}{2}##

Assuming that the upper boundary of integration is greater than ##1##, or less than ##-1##, leads to ##u=\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\approx 1.61##. the second case leads to a contradiction since the upper boundary of integration is ##u##, and ##u## is ##1.61##, which is greater than ##-1##.

Assuming that the boundary of integration is ##1## or ##-1## also leads to contradictions, since this leads to ##u=0##.

Then, assuming that the upper boundary of integration is between ##-1## and ##1##, this leads to ##u=\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2}\approx -.61##, which satisfies the condition that ##-1<u<1##.

So, the integral is equal to ##\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2}\approx -.61##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I understood why ##u=1.61## leads to a contradiction.

Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
I don't think I understood why ##u=1.61## leads to a contradiction.
I had a brain fart. You're right. It does not lead to a contradiction.

So both ##u=1.61## and ##u=-.61## are correct answers to the integral, since the the integral does not specify conditions on the other boundary of integration, right?

docnet said:
Homework Statement:: ##\int_1^{\int_1^{\cdots}2xdx}2xdx##
Relevant Equations:: .

Let ##u=\int_1^{u}2xdx##.
\begin{align}u=& \int_1^{u}2xdx=\big[x^2\big]_1^u\\
u=&u^2-1\end{align}##
I’m unclear as to why the left hand side of this eqn is ##u##? Also the problem statement seems incomplete as it is just an expression? What exactly do the dots in the upper bound of the upper bound indicate? Is it kinda like a power tower or something?

docnet said:
So both ##u=1.61## and ##u=-.61## are correct answers to the integral, since the the integral does not specify conditions on the other boundary of integration, right?
What other boundary of integration? The lower bound of 1? What conditions are you referring to?

Did you provide us the complete problem statement? You seem to be imposing conditions that weren't stated. It's not clear to me what your concerns are after you find the two roots of the quadratic.

benorin said:
I’m unclear as to why the left hand side of this eqn is ##u##? Also the problem statement seems incomplete as it is just an expression? What exactly do the dots in the upper bound of the upper bound indicate? Is it kinda like a power tower or something?
Sorry, I forgot to say that the problem statement is to evaluate the nested integral.
the dots of the upper bound indicates that the upper bound is the nested integral, like an infinitely repeating pattern of the same integral.

vela said:
What other boundary of integration? The lower bound of 1? What conditions are you referring to?

Did you provide us the complete problem statement? You seem to be imposing conditions that weren't stated. It's not clear to me what your concerns are after you find the two roots of the quadratic.

The other bound as in ##u=\int2xdx##. This integral is a case of what we are solving for being an expression of itself, like a loop. Although the characteristic polynomial gives two solutions for u, one can imagine making an initial guess for u and checking if the integral is equal to u until you get the correct u (its kind of a pointless exercise in numerical methods I guess).

docnet said:
Sorry, I forgot to say that the problem statement is to evaluate the nested integral.
the dots of the upper bound indicates that the upper bound is the nested integral, like an infinitely repeating pattern of the same integral.
The other bound as in ##u=\int2xdx##. This integral is a case of what we are solving for being an expression of itself, like a loop. Although the characteristic polynomial gives two solutions for u, one can imagine making an initial guess for u and checking if the integral is equal to u until you get the correct u (its kind of a pointless exercise in numerical methods I guess).

I tried this out actually just to see what happened and it's kind of interesting. The behavior if you start at a number smaller than 1.6 vs bigger than 1.62 is interesting.

Office_Shredder said:
I tried this out actually just to see what happened and it's kind of interesting. The behavior if you start at a number smaller than 1.6 vs bigger than 1.62 is interesting.
It could be fun to write an algorithm to numerically shoot for the correct ##u## starting with the initial guess ##u=1.6## or ##u=1.62## to see how quickly the solution converges for each case. ##2x## is strictly positive over the positive values of ##x##, so one would have $$\int_1^{1.6}2xdx<\int_1^{1.61}2xdx<\int_1^{1.62}2xdx$$

docnet said:
##2x## is strictly positive over the positive values of ##x##, so one would have $$\int_1^{1.6}2xdx<\int_1^{1.61}2xdx<\int_1^{1.62}2xdx$$
How is that interesting? Don't you need to look at whether ##1.6>\int_1^{1.6}2xdx## etc?

haruspex said:
How is that interesting? Don't you need to look at whether ##1.6>\int_1^{1.6}2xdx## etc?
Yes. If ##1.6>\int_1^{1.6}2xdx## we would add a small number "##a##" to ##1.6##.

If ##1.6+a < \int_1^{1.6+a}2xdx##, we would subtract something like ##(2/3)a## from ##1.6+a##.

If ##1.6+a -(2/3)a < \int_1^{1.6+a-(2/3)a}2xdx## we would subtract something like ##(2/3)(2/3)a## from the last number... and that would continue like that until the desired tolerance between the integral and the bound is reached. The integral might diverge for some beginning values of ##a##.

docnet said:
Yes. If ##1.6>\int_1^{1.6}2xdx## we would add a small number "##a##" to ##1.6##.

If ##1.6+a < \int_1^{1.6+a}2xdx##, we would subtract something like ##(2/3)a## from ##1.6+a##.

If ##1.6+a -(2/3)a < \int_1^{1.6+a-(2/3)a}2xdx## we would subtract something like ##(2/3)(2/3)a## from the last number... and that would continue like that until the desired tolerance between the integral and the bound is reached. The integral might diverge for some beginning values of ##a##.
My point was that ##\int_1^{1.6}2xdx=1.56<1.6##, so it looks like starting anywhere under the 1.6... solution will not converge to that. Similarly starting above 1.6... seems not to converge. (But these observations would need to be shown to be generally true.)

It seems to me we cannot argue that the nested integral has a value unless the sequence converges.

What about convergence to the negative solution?

Likes docnet
haruspex said:
My point was that ##\int_1^{1.6}2xdx=1.56<1.6##, so it looks like starting anywhere under the 1.6... solution will not converge to that. Similarly starting above 1.6... seems not to converge. (But these observations would need to be shown to be generally true.)

It seems to me we cannot argue that the nested integral has a value unless the sequence converges.

What about convergence to the negative solution?
Yes, if you are considering the true nested integral. Then, for any value other than the exact value, the nested integral will not converge.

Here is a simple code I wrote in Jupyter notebook to numerically solve this integral using a basic shooting method. ##f## is defined as the semidefinite integral minus ##x##.

We can numerically estimate the integral using a simple iterative loop to avoid the issue.

Let ##f=x^2-1-x##. Then the roots of ##f## are the solutions of the nested integral.

The algorithm finds the root of ##f## within a desired bracket. We define the bracket based on the supposed solutions of the nested integral. Each iteration involves a regular antiderivative of ##2x## evaluated at an estimate for the upper bound. The estimated bound improves with each iteration up to a reasonable desired tolerance. So, there is nothing to diverge to infinities.

The root-finding method is the "bisection method" because the bracket is bisected until it lands on the best estimate of the root.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 1.26.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 1.26.36 PM.png

Likes benorin and Delta2
A typo: the second line of the code should say "#semidefinite integral minus x"

$$
I=\int_1^{I^{I^{...}}} 2x dx = (x^2)^{(x^2)^{(x^2)^{(x^2)^{...}-1}-1}-1}-1=\frac{(x^2)^{\frac{(x^2)^{\frac{(x^2)^{...}}{x^2}}}{x^2}}}{x^2}-1
$$
$$
=1^{1^{1^{1^{...}}}}-1=0
$$

• Wow
Likes benorin and Delta2
The "integral" diverges everywhere except ##x=\frac{\sqrt{1\pm5}}{2}##. So the "integral" is that function defined piece-wise:

$$\int_1^{\int_1^\cdots 2xdx}2xdx=\begin{cases}x & \text{for}\quad x= \frac{\sqrt{1\pm5}}{2}\\\infty& \text{otherwise}\end{cases}$$

I thought about this a little more and the mission here is wrong. Notice there's no x on the left hand side. You don't want an ascending chain of integrals, you want a descending chain.

$$f(z)=...\int_1^{\int_1^z 2x dx} 2x dx$$

And the convergence is more complicated than you made it out to be. For example see what happens if you start at ##z=0##

1. What is a nested integral problem?

A nested integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves multiple integrals within each other. This means that the limits of integration for one integral depend on the variable of another integral. It is often used in calculus and physics to solve problems involving multiple variables and complex functions.

2. How do you solve a nested integral problem?

Solving a nested integral problem involves using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to simplify the integrals. You then use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integrals and solve the problem. It is important to carefully consider the limits of integration and make sure they are in the correct order.

3. What are some common applications of nested integral problems?

Nested integral problems are commonly used in physics to calculate the volume, surface area, or mass of complex objects. They are also used in economics and engineering to model and analyze systems with multiple variables. Additionally, nested integrals are used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of events with multiple variables.

4. What are some common challenges when solving nested integral problems?

One of the main challenges of solving nested integral problems is identifying the correct order of integration. This can be tricky, especially when there are multiple variables and complex functions involved. Another challenge is simplifying the integrals and correctly applying integration techniques. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure all the steps are correct.

5. Are there any tips for solving nested integral problems?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help when solving nested integral problems. First, carefully analyze the problem and identify the variables and functions involved. Then, choose the correct order of integration and simplify the integrals as much as possible. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or graph to visualize the problem. Finally, always check your work and make sure the final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.