Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A new algorithm?

1. Aug 12, 2004 #1
    hello grp.... :smile:

is there any algorithm of findin the total area of an intersecting plane. i have tried with set theory if a n b r two planes,
    area(a)+Area(b)-Area(a intersection b)

but it takes such a long computation when u go on adding planes to the existing ones. I want to have something which cud b easily programmable....without takin much longer 4 computations(by the processor)...

So is there any new method.....

thnx in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps it would help if you were clearer on what you are saying. You surely don't mean "planes". You appear to mean "two or more sets in a single plane". What information about the sets are you given?
  4. Aug 13, 2004 #3

sorry 4 not makin it clear...i wanna calculate the volume in principle of two intersecting cubes and mainly the volume of two intersecting regions which may have its intersection point anywhere.....jus like stemnitz solid r an intersecting cylinder..hope that makes it clear...but its not result of jus two intersecting cubes but a lot more cud b added r deleted and it may jus be anywhere...

for simulation purpose i used area calculation for planes to get 2 the above...
    I dun wanna apply set theory at all .....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?