Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A New Chimp?

1. Dec 2, 2003 #1
    I want to warn you from the start that this is third-degree hearsay, so I don't know any details. However, I've heard from a guy who heard from a guy that scientists have discovered a new kind of chimp (to be clear, it is not new, it is just new to us). I think he said that it resembles a baboon more than the usual chimp...I'm not really sure. I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything like this. Sorry to not be able to provide more detail, but I assume that this discovery should be fairly big news; so, if anyone knows anything about this, please tell what you know about it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it is true, a quick google search didn't turn up anything.. it turned up a different story on new animals though:

Glow-In-The-Dark Pet Fish Coming Soon

actually, let's make that a new thread..
  4. Dec 3, 2003 #3
    Actually, it is true. I started a thread about it in S & D a few weeks ago, but no one cared.

The newly discovered chimps are remarkable, not because they resemble babboons, but because they resemble gorillas: they are much larger than known chimps.
  5. Dec 3, 2003 #4
  6. Dec 3, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

S & D?
  7. Dec 3, 2003 #6
    Skepticism and Debunking. (I was trying to get a discussion started as to whether the discovery of this unknown species of chimp could be used as a tool of hope for those believing in the Yeti and Bigfoot.)
  8. Dec 4, 2003 #7
    Interesting. Forgive me for not having read your thread on this, but I never go into the S&D forum (I suppose I have at some point, peeked in their, but I've never posted their or really read more than a couple posts).
  9. Dec 4, 2003 #8
    I couldn't read the whole article, but I read most of it. So, was the skull that that man found previously (and labeled as belonging to Gorilla gorilla ullensis) a skull of one of these giant chimpanzees?

Are these giant chimpanzees going to be considered Pan troglodytes, or are they a different sub-species?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?