1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A New Chimp?

1. Dec 2, 2003 #1
    I want to warn you from the start that this is third-degree hearsay, so I don't know any details. However, I've heard from a guy who heard from a guy that scientists have discovered a new kind of chimp (to be clear, it is not new, it is just new to us). I think he said that it resembles a baboon more than the usual chimp...I'm not really sure. I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything like this. Sorry to not be able to provide more detail, but I assume that this discovery should be fairly big news; so, if anyone knows anything about this, please tell what you know about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2003 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it is true, a quick google search didn't turn up anything.. it turned up a different story on new animals though:

Glow-In-The-Dark Pet Fish Coming Soon

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...e=10&u=/ap/20031202/ap_on_sc/fluorescent_fish
    actually, let's make that a new thread..

4. Dec 3, 2003 #3
    Actually, it is true. I started a thread about it in S & D a few weeks ago, but no one cared.

The newly discovered chimps are remarkable, not because they resemble babboons, but because they resemble gorillas: they are much larger than known chimps.

5. Dec 3, 2003 #4
  6. Dec 3, 2003 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

S & D?

7. Dec 3, 2003 #6
    Skepticism and Debunking. (I was trying to get a discussion started as to whether the discovery of this unknown species of chimp could be used as a tool of hope for those believing in the Yeti and Bigfoot.)

8. Dec 4, 2003 #7
    Interesting. Forgive me for not having read your thread on this, but I never go into the S&D forum (I suppose I have at some point, peeked in their, but I've never posted their or really read more than a couple posts).

9. Dec 4, 2003 #8
    I couldn't read the whole article, but I read most of it. So, was the skull that that man found previously (and labeled as belonging to Gorilla gorilla ullensis) a skull of one of these giant chimpanzees?

Are these giant chimpanzees going to be considered Pan troglodytes, or are they a different sub-species?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?