A new definition to bolzano weirshtrass law regarding liminf that i cant understand

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of liminf and its relationship to bounded sequences and subsequences. The Bolzano-Weierstrasse property states that any bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence, allowing for the existence of liminf. Liminf is the largest lower bound of all the limits of the subsequences and is also the supremum of the infimums of every subsequence in a bounded sequence.
transgalactic
if a sequence Y_n is bounded
then there is sub sequence Y_r_n which satisfies
lim inf Y_n<=lim Y_r_n
as n->+infinity

i didnt here of that definition before
the only definition i know about liminf is that it the supremum of all the infimums of the sequence

using the definition i know

this one
Code:
lim inf Y_n<=lim Y_r_n
as n->+infinity
doesnt make any sense
??

Physics news on Phys.org

The usual statement of the Bolzano-Weierstrasse property is that any bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence. In order that you can talk about "lim Y_r_j" that must be true. Since there exist at least one convergent subsequenc, the set of subsequential limits is non-empty and since the sequence itself is bounded the set of subsequential limits is bounded and has both sup and inf. That is, liminf and limsup for the sequence exist as finite numbers (if {a_n} is unbounded below, some texts say the liminf is "negative infinity" in order to always have a liminf). Since the limit of the sequence Y_r_j is one of the subsequential limits, obviously it must be larger than or equal to the liminf, which is a lower bound on the subsequential limits.

thanks i understood that

so one the one hand liminf is the largest lower bound of all the limits of all the subsequences
and on the other hand its the supremum of the infimums of every subsequence

on a bounded sequence.

"Infimum" is, by definition, the largest of all lower bounds. I'm not sure I like the phrasing "supremum of the infimums of every subsequence" but I think that is the basic idea.

1. What is the Bolzano-Weierstrass Law?

The Bolzano-Weierstrass Law, also known as the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem, is a fundamental theorem in real analysis that states that every bounded sequence in a metric space has a convergent subsequence.

2. What is the new definition of Bolzano-Weierstrass Law regarding liminf?

The new definition of Bolzano-Weierstrass Law regarding liminf is a modification of the original theorem that includes the concept of liminf, or the limit inferior, which is the smallest limit point of a sequence.

3. How does this new definition differ from the original Bolzano-Weierstrass Law?

The original Bolzano-Weierstrass Law only considered the concept of a convergent subsequence, while the new definition takes into account the limit inferior of a sequence. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of bounded sequences in a metric space.

4. What implications does this new definition have in the field of mathematics?

The new definition of Bolzano-Weierstrass Law allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of bounded sequences and their limit points. It has implications in various fields such as analysis, topology, and functional analysis.

5. How can this new definition be applied in practical situations?

This new definition can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in economics, engineering, and physics, where the concept of bounded sequences and limit points play a crucial role in understanding and solving problems.