Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A new idea!

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    So I was enjoying breakfast this morning, very early like (at seven or so), and I was looking at my coffee mug, and also at a glass of grapefruit juice. So I thought, why not? and toppled the contents of one into the other. And the result was suprisingly sweet-tasting, lemony, coffee-ish, in a uniquely brown color - a very bright brown, almost phosphorescent.

What do you think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2
    No thank you.
  4. Feb 15, 2006 #3
    Well, the reason that two things mixed together tasts good is becuase of similar molecular structure and things that taste bad have unsimilar molecular structure. Basil and coffee are good apart from on another, but when you mix them....they taste awful.

Do you have acces to IR-spectroscopy?
  5. Feb 15, 2006 #4
    Yes, actually, I have a very nice FT-IR sitting right here in the lab. No, I will not put coffee in it and spend the next two centuries identifying all the peaks. There is a whole institute devoted to that task - the Institute of Coffee at Vanderbilt University.
  6. Feb 15, 2006 #5
    That is maybe the most hillarious i ever heard ;P
  7. Feb 15, 2006 #6
    People do put lemon in tea, but grapefruit juice in coffee just sounds like it would taste wrong.
  8. Feb 15, 2006 #7
    It was equal parts coffee and grapefruit juice, hence the excessive sweetness.
  9. Feb 15, 2006 #8

Science Advisor

Ruining the sanctity of that which is coffee with the putrid tasting grapefruit juice is just plain wrong. Repent!
  10. Feb 15, 2006 #9
    I'd say it was the other way around...
  11. Feb 15, 2006 #10
    I've had soooooo many adventures that started out exactly like this. my list of nouns contains: cup of sugar, mercury, penis, wall socket, laser, alligator clip, etc
  12. Feb 15, 2006 #11
    As a general rule of thumb, I've found that I stay alive longer if I don't drink anything even vaguely phosphorescent. There's probably a reason for the phosphorescence, like maybe the coffee molecules and the juice molecules reacted, became unstable, and are now giving off deadly radiation. I'd probably end up with cancer and an unpleasant variety of genetic mutations. So no...none for me.

Good luck though.
  13. Feb 15, 2006 #12

Staff: Mentor

I love coffee.

I love Ruby Red Grapefruit juice.

Together? :surprised
  14. Feb 16, 2006 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

Here here!

Maybe you should next mix coffee with pomegranate juice. Or tomato juice. Actually, don't do tomato juice, the consistency would be too weird :yuck:

15. Feb 16, 2006 #14
    Let's go all the way, folks: COFFEE AND JELLYFISH!!!

16. Feb 16, 2006 #15

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A permutation gives a more palatable wording:

Ruining the sanctity of that which is grapefruit juice with the putrid tasting coffee is just plain wrong. Repent!

Actually, coffee is OK ... if it has ice in it, or if it's in a sauce poured over vanilla ice cream.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?