Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A new language for Science

1. May 22, 2004 #1
    Do you think it's a good idea to make a whole new language for science/scientists?
    Any ideas on how it'd work?
    Can maths could be considered such a language?
    Have there been attempts in the past to create such a language?
    Woud it hinder progress in the long run?
    Would it make it harder for people to get into science?

... considering the fact that jargons are everywhere and it does sound like people are living on the different planet when they speak on thongs needing technical wording and comcepts ...

Woud it help progress in the long run?
    Would it make it easier for people to get into science?

... considering the fact that a lot of scientific vocabulary consists of common words which are given technical meanings and therefore this might make it harder for poeple to adapt their familiar use to technical one ...

Would help internationalise science more and therefore increase it's march towards firther progress?

Jus sum random thoughts on the subejct of a language for science [note: not scientific language].

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2004 #2
    I rather like English. Maths for the nuts and bolts, English for descriptions. And we can make up new words for new things and add them to English.

4. May 22, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Combine english, latin and greek and there you have the language of science :)

5. May 22, 2004 #4
    Hmmm....we already have that Monique :D
    Would it nice to start from scratch again?

6. May 22, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, and if it works fine why change it? :smile:

7. May 22, 2004 #6
    Spoil sport ... :tongue2:

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  8. May 25, 2004 #7
    Do u know serious/responsible people don't like a common global language. May be u don't like my answer but it is 100% true, especially from political point of view.

9. May 25, 2004 #8
    Why is that? It's for progress of science - Im sure the scientists would agree as they've kinda got a global language thing going anyways ... i think ... it's no upto politicians...it's upto scientists what vocab they use to express they're ideas

10. May 27, 2004 #9
    just use math, it describes everything

11. May 28, 2004 #10
    Just English, the universal language, i think...

12. May 28, 2004 #11
    It could be quite interesting I suppose... to see average person speak mathematical

13. May 28, 2004 #12
    It has been tried before. Can't remember the name of that language, but it combined stuff from all sorts of languages and it was supposed to be the global language.

14. May 28, 2004 #13
  15. May 28, 2004 #14
    it is different - we are talkin' about a language with most words being taken from math or physics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?