Arrowhead Hunting & Moral Dilemma: Should It Be Preserved?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, I think this place is just a place where people make arrowheads. There are plenty of arrowheads in museums, and it would be mostly uninteresting to an archeologist.
tribdog
Moving back to Battle Mountain reminded of a place I went when I was little to pick up arrowheads. The ground was absolutely covered with chips and broken arrowheads. I didn't think much about it when I was little, but I'll bet indians were using this spot for hundreds if not thousands of years. The people I've told about it say I shouldn't say anything because they don't want the land placed off limits to hunters and snow mobilers etc. Do you think a site like that would be of interest to an archeologist? I'm not a big outdoorsman so I think the historical value is more important than the recreational. What I don't know is whether sites like this are commonplace or if they are of interest to archeologists.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a site like that in Utah, and the owners of the land kept it a secret for generations until a few years ago. I don't remember the details, but I think some hikers found it out let the secret out. Have to look up in the news.

yeah, I saw a scientific american episode about that. That site was way different than this one. this is just a place where it looks like they sat around and made arrowheads all day long. there aren't living quarters or cave paintings or anything like that.

I say let it be. There are enough arrowheads in museums, and collecting these artifacts and roping them off just has the effect of sucking the life out of them.

It probably won't add anything new in textbooks, and whoever comes there would take stuff anyways. So I think it's better to keep it a secret.

would an archeologist say that?

It's true that there are dozens, hundreds of arrowhead sites, of Clovis, Folsom cultures etc. On the top of my head I think that the number of registered fluted points is something like 27,000. But yet it's rather unethical to keep this place a secret. There may be big new discoveries waiting, filling in a lot of blanks science it struggling with which may be lost forever if kept secret. It's not that science can claim the grounds and deny other use.

Anyway I'm sure this thread is going to have Evo's undivided attention and of her friends, DrPaleo.

tribdog said:
would an archeologist say that?

Perhaps you could select some examples that look representative? Then you could take them to an archaeologist or take pics of them and e-mail them about to see if there is any real interest. If there is none ... then hike in peace.

Plus you have some curios from antiquity that holds memories for you.

A quick look turned up a lot of arrowhead sellers. If you make the location known you may just attract people looking to scrounge up as many artifacts as possible for sale. So if you do let it out you may want to be careful who you tell and how you tell them.

Arrowheads are a dime a dozen. But the site may be of archeological interest in some larger context. What does a site like this indicate? Did a big tribe migrating from one place to another find a huge flint deposit here and stop for a month furiously making arrowheads for the rest of the trip, or is a fixed tribe's traditional flint napping area?

I just spent the weekend four wheeling with my friends. I found arrowheads all over the place. Maybe that other spot isn't so special after all.

tribdog said:
Moving back to Battle Mountain reminded of a place I went when I was little to pick up arrowheads. The ground was absolutely covered with chips and broken arrowheads. I didn't think much about it when I was little, but I'll bet indians were using this spot for hundreds if not thousands of years. The people I've told about it say I shouldn't say anything because they don't want the land placed off limits to hunters and snow mobilers etc. Do you think a site like that would be of interest to an archeologist? I'm not a big outdoorsman so I think the historical value is more important than the recreational. What I don't know is whether sites like this are commonplace or if they are of interest to archeologists.
We have one of the US's most foremost archaeologists specializing in Clovis culture on this forum. DrPaleo, he usually only works sites he is sent to, but you could talk to him. Send him a PM.

I really don't think this is Clovis. I'd say 99.9% sure. I'm not an archeologist, but there have been Indians in this area for thousands of years and some of them still live here, they aren't Clovis. DrPaleo would be able to give me an answer to my question though.

tribdog said:
I really don't think this is Clovis. I'd say 99.9% sure. I'm not an archeologist, but there have been Indians in this area for thousands of years and some of them still live here, they aren't Clovis. DrPaleo would be able to give me an answer to my question though.

Take some pictures and post them.

I love arrowheads and I’m curious. Did you ever find out if they were Clovis arrowheads?
LEGAL SAFETY- The best arrowhead hunting takes place on private property. You should never trespass in order to hunt, as you do not own the arrowheads and have no right to take them from the person who does. The fact that the property owner does not know they are there does not give you any special rights.

Always ask permission BEFORE you go hunting. Offer to eventually give the landowner any arrowheads you find as long as you can play with them for a few months. Most landowners will let you keep them forever, and will be your friend for just as long. The friendships you make with landowners can last a lifetime and will almost certainly be more valuable than anything you could find.

It is important to remember that it does not matter how responsible you are on site if you tell the location of a site to someone who will go over and dig the place up. Telling a professional archaeologist what you have found is not nearly as risky as telling your coworkers or the guys at the bar. It is far better to keep your mouth shut, except to the landowner and to a professional archaeologist. Believe this, or learn the hard way.

I remember as a child seeing a vast collection of arrowheads that belonged to a farmer. He said that they came up every year when he plowed. He had lots of them displayed in glass frames, and lots more of them in boxes. He was making no secret of it, but this was 50 years ago. Perhaps he or his descendents regret displaying them now.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I remember as a child seeing a vast collection of arrowheads that belonged to a farmer. He said that they came up every year when he plowed. He had lots of them displayed in glass frames, and lots more of them in boxes. He was making no secret of it, but this was 50 years ago. Perhaps he or his descendents regret displaying them now.

My parents are grain farmers and every couple of years we find an arrow head that is brought to the surface from our equipment. One year they found a stone hammer with deep grooves where the ropes had been, it was pretty cool.

1. What is arrowhead hunting and why is it a moral dilemma?

Arrowhead hunting is the practice of searching for and collecting ancient Native American artifacts, specifically arrowheads. It is a moral dilemma because it involves disturbing and potentially damaging culturally significant artifacts that belong to Native American communities. It also raises questions about ownership and preservation of these artifacts.

2. Is arrowhead hunting legal?

The legality of arrowhead hunting varies depending on the location. In some areas, it is legal for individuals to collect arrowheads on public land as long as they are not on protected or sacred Native American sites. However, in other areas, it is strictly prohibited and considered a federal offense. It is important to research and understand the laws and regulations in your specific location before engaging in arrowhead hunting.

3. What are the potential consequences of arrowhead hunting?

The consequences of arrowhead hunting can include damaging or destroying important cultural and historical artifacts, causing harm to protected or sacred sites, and disrespecting the beliefs and traditions of Native American communities. It can also result in legal consequences if done in prohibited areas or without proper permits.

4. How can we balance the preservation of arrowheads with the interest in collecting them?

One way to balance preservation and collecting is through responsible and ethical arrowhead hunting practices. This includes obtaining proper permits, researching and understanding the laws and regulations in your area, and respecting the cultural significance of the artifacts. Another way is to support and collaborate with Native American communities in preserving and protecting these artifacts.

5. What is the role of scientists in the preservation of arrowheads?

Scientists have an important role in the preservation of arrowheads and other cultural artifacts. They can conduct research and analysis on these artifacts to gain a better understanding of their historical and cultural significance. They can also work with Native American communities to develop preservation and conservation plans, and educate the public about the importance of respecting and preserving these artifacts.