A New World Leader: 8yr old Pulls 1000yr old Sword from Lake

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lake
In summary, the 8 year old girl in Norway pulled a sword out of a lake that is estimated to be over 1000 years old. The sword is said to be magical and the girl is now the new world leader. People are trying to understand the joke and the video is a great example of Monty Python humor.
Physics news on Phys.org
With tongue firmly in cheek … a few lines from Monty Python …. sorry I just couldn't resist, considering your thread title :biggrin::-p

King Arthur The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water,
signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king!
Dennis Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!
King Arthur Be quiet!
Dennis You can’t expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Dave

Likes *now*, Ryan_m_b and jedishrfu
and to follow that up with Spamalot:

Likes *now* and davenn
This must be some neat humor which I so far do not understand. The post #2 was interesting and I wish I could understand it. The video in post #3 I find dull and do not understand. I wish you or whoever would explain #2 better.

jedishrfu said:
from a lake in Norway
Sweden (I'm Swedish) and here's the lake: Vidöstern lake on Google Maps.

Edit: Very cool story, and very cool sword! I would like to have one of those at home. :)

symbolipoint said:
This must be some neat humor which I so far do not understand. The post #2 was interesting and I wish I could understand it. The video in post #3 I find dull and do not understand. I wish you or whoever would explain #2 better.
In "Le Morte d'Arthur" the sword called Excalibur was given to King Arthur by the Lady of the Lake.
Here's a clip from the movie Excalibur:

Likes davenn
DennisN, thanks for the help.

whenever someone gives a gift and especially if you did not expect it, you need to ask, "What will this cost me?"
Or, "What will this cost and of whom?"

Likes DennisN
symbolipoint said:

Monty Python is a British comedy team that did a lot of crazy movies including a parody of King Arthur. Some of the jokes were the King and his squire using the sound of clacking coconuts to simulate horses galloping along. There were a lot of silly sight gags as well and the humor was very edgy.

The Spamalot is refers to the SPAM product that was used during WW2 as a ration. Its basically canned pork and ham:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(food)

People make fun of it perhaps because initially they had too much of it as a basic food. It was considered a poverty food but it did help the war effort and solved the problem of meat spoilage.

King Arthur was from Camelot so Monty Python changed their parody to be Spamalot. You can get a sense of the silliness by reading the wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamalot

Likes davenn
symbolipoint said:
The post #2 was interesting and I wish I could understand it

Here is the relevant scene from Monty Pyton and the Holy Grail

It's a satire on the legends of King Arthur in which the king was proclaimed by his weidling of a magical sword, given to him by a spirit living in a lake. The fairy tail is contrasted with a very pedantic and in depth analysis on how exactly governments should derive their authority. Plus the idea of anarchist peasants not understanding they live under a monarchy is pretty funny.

Likes davenn, DennisN, BillTre and 3 others
Ryan_m_b said:
Plus the idea of anarchist peasants not understanding they live under a monarchy is pretty funny.
I thought they were an autonomous collective? :biggrin:

Likes Ryan_m_b, davenn, BillTre and 1 other person
Although this does not fit the topic, post #9 reminds me of Rocky And BullWinkle cartoons of long-past and some of the other stories shown on that program.

Anyway, that video is the perfect quote of the earlier post.

Likes davenn
The idea also reminds me of the interesting commentary which were later shown in some of the cartoons in some of the works of Michael Moore (his movies).

1. How did an 8-year-old manage to pull a 1000-year-old sword from a lake?

It is highly unlikely that an 8-year-old could physically pull a 1000-year-old sword from a lake. This story is most likely a legend or myth with no scientific evidence to support it.

2. Is there any scientific explanation for this phenomenon?

No, there is no scientific explanation for a sword being pulled from a lake by an 8-year-old. It goes against the laws of physics and the natural aging process of objects.

3. Could the sword have been preserved in the lake for 1000 years?

Possibly, but it is highly unlikely. The conditions in a lake, such as water and sediment, can cause objects to deteriorate over time. It is also unlikely that a sword would remain perfectly intact for 1000 years without any human intervention.

4. Has this event been scientifically proven?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support this event. It is most likely a fictional story that has been passed down through generations.

5. What is the significance of this story in the scientific community?

This story holds no significance in the scientific community as it is not based on scientific evidence or research. It is simply a legend or myth with no scientific backing.