What are the Answers to Operational Amplifier Questions?

• Thread starter Clari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
In summary: You can also use them to filter signals, amplify and condition signals, etc.In summary, the conversation revolved around two questions regarding operational amplifiers and their applications. The first question was about the value of the feedback resistance in figure 1, with the correct answer being 40000 ohms. The second question involved finding the potentials at points A and B in figure 2, with the correct answer being 2.1V for both points. The conversation also touched on the different methods of solving for the output voltage and the purpose of the circuit design.
Clari
hi there,

i have two questions concerning operational amplifier which i can't figure out. i have tried them for hours, and finally get on a bit, yet i am not sure whether i have the answer right. :(

1a. What is the value of the feedback resistance in figure 1?

My ans: V_out/ V_in = 1+ R_f/ R_in
30/ 6 = 1+ R_f/ 10 x 10^3
R_f = 40000 ohm

2. In figure 2, Assume the op amp does not saturate, find the potentials at A and B.
At A, the current = 3.2 x 5k = 0.64 mA
At B, the current = 2.8 x (5k+15K) = 0.14 mA

Total current = 0.64 + 0.14 = 0.78 mA

Potential at A = (0.78 -0.64) x 15k = 2.1V
Potential at B = 0.14mA x 15k = 2.1V

please help me. ^^

Attachments

• figure1.gif
    figure1.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 437
  • figure2.gif
    figure2.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Clari said:
hi there,

i have two questions concerning operational amplifier which i can't figure out. i have tried them for hours, and finally get on a bit, yet i am not sure whether i have the answer right. :(

1a. What is the value of the feedback resistance in figure 1?

My ans: V_out/ V_in = 1+ R_f/ R_in
30/ 6 = 1+ R_f/ 10 x 10^3
R_f = 40000 ohm

2. In figure 2, Assume the op amp does not saturate, find the potentials at A and B.
At A, the current = 3.2 x 5k = 0.64 mA
At B, the current = 2.8 x (5k+15K) = 0.14 mA

Total current = 0.64 + 0.14 = 0.78 mA

Potential at A = (0.78 -0.64) x 15k = 2.1V
Potential at B = 0.14mA x 15k = 2.1V

please help me. ^^
Question 1 is correct.

You also got the right answer for the second one, but I'm not sure why you did what you did.

If your resistances were labeled from left to right, with the top resistors first, you'd have R1=5K, R2=15K, R3=5K, R4=15K.

For an ideal op amp, the inverting input (-) and the non-inverting input (+) have the same voltage. Once you solve for the potential at B, you've solved for the potential at A.

Your currents are wrong, however. B is correct, but A is wrong. To find the current at A, you need (Vin - Va)/R1.

(3.2V-2.1V)/5k = .22mA

The rationale is that 1.2 volts were dropped across R1 (2.1 is 1.2 Volts lower than the input voltage). Per Ohm's law, the current through the resistor is V/R.

It's the current at A that will give you your output voltage:

Va-(.22mA*R2) = 2.1 - (.22mA*15K) = 2.1 - 3.2 = -1.2

Rationale is the same as before. You're still using Ohm's law: V=RI. You're dropping 3.2 volts, so the output voltage has to 3.2 volts lower than point A.

If you subtracted your input voltages (3.2 - 2.8) and multiplied by the inverting gain (-R2/R1), you'd get the same answer for the output voltage (but might not understand why). Or if you subtracted your input voltages (2.8 - 3.2) and multiplied by the non-inverting gain {(R1+R2)/R1}*{R4/(R3+R4)}, you'd get the same answer for the output voltage.

Last edited:
If you subtracted your input voltages (3.2 - 2.8) and multiplied by the inverting gain (-R2/R1), you'd get the same answer for the output voltage (but might not understand why). Or if you subtracted your input voltages (2.8 - 3.2) and multiplied by the non-inverting gain {(R1+R2)/R1}*{R4/(R3+R4)}, you'd get the same answer for the output voltage.
Hello BobG, i can figure it out now. Thank you very much. Your help is greatly appreciated. :approve: well, i have also tried the alternative method before but i don't know why the two voltages have to subtracted from each other. :rofl:

Clari said:
Hello BobG, i can figure it out now. Thank you very much. Your help is greatly appreciated. :approve: well, i have also tried the alternative method before but i don't know why the two voltages have to subtracted from each other. :rofl:
That's the goal of the circuit. It was designed so the output would depend on the difference between the two inputs. You can also design opamp circuits to sum two or more voltages, integrators, differentiators, etc.

1. What is a non-inverting amplifier?

A non-inverting amplifier is an electronic circuit that amplifies an input signal without changing its polarity. This means that the output signal will have the same polarity as the input signal, but with a larger amplitude.

2. How does a non-inverting amplifier work?

A non-inverting amplifier works by using an operational amplifier (op-amp) to amplify the input signal. The op-amp has a high input impedance and a low output impedance, allowing it to amplify the signal without affecting its polarity. The output voltage is determined by the ratio of the input and feedback resistors.

3. What are the advantages of using a non-inverting amplifier?

One advantage of a non-inverting amplifier is that it has a high input impedance, meaning that it doesn't draw much current from the input signal. This makes it suitable for interfacing with high impedance sources such as sensors. Additionally, the gain of the amplifier is determined by external resistors, making it easy to adjust and modify for different applications.

4. What are some common applications of a non-inverting amplifier?

Non-inverting amplifiers are commonly used in audio equipment, signal conditioning circuits, and instrumentation amplifiers. They are also used in analog-to-digital converters to amplify small signals for digital processing.

5. How do I calculate the gain of a non-inverting amplifier?

The gain of a non-inverting amplifier is calculated by dividing the feedback resistor value by the input resistor value and adding 1. For example, if the feedback resistor is 10kΩ and the input resistor is 1kΩ, the gain would be 11 (10kΩ/1kΩ + 1 = 11).