Non-Separable Sets: Showing A is Not Separable

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, we are trying to prove that if (X,d) is a metric space and A is a closed subset of X, and if there exists an uncountable subset U of A such that for all x,y in U, the distance between them is at least some positive constant c, then A is not separable. We attempt to do this by assuming A is separable and using the axiom of choice to construct an injective or surjective map from the countable dense subset S to the uncountable subset U, which leads to a contradiction.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Let (X,d) be a metric space, A a closed subset of X. Suppose we've found an uncountable subset [itex] U \subseteq A [/itex] such that [itex] \forall x,y \in U, \; d(x,y) \geq c [/itex] for some positive constant c. Show that A is not separable

Homework Equations

A is separable if it contains a countably dense subset

The Attempt at a Solution

For the sake of contradiction assume that A is separable. That is, there exists a countable set S such that cl(S) = A, or [itex] \forall a \in A \; \forall r>0, \; B(a;r) \cap S \neq \emptyset [/itex]

Now my idea from here is as follows. Since U is uncountable and S is necessarily countable, we can choose [itex] x \in U\setminus _S [/itex]. Then [itex] \forall r>0 \; B(x;r) \cap S \neq \emptyset [/itex] by assumption. Now I want to show a contradiction using the fact that [itex] \forall x,y \in U , \; d(x,y) \geq c [/itex]. I've been thinking about how to find a suitable r such that [itex] B(x;r) \subseteq U\setminus_S [/itex] which would cause [itex]B(x;r) \cap S = \emptyset [/itex] and give a contradiction. However, I can't find a way to guarantee that a sufficiently small r exists. Hence that idea doesn't seem to be leading anywhere, and I'm not sure what to try next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take r=c/4. B(u,c/4) for each u in U must contain at least one point in the countable dense subset S but only one point in U. But no s in S is contained in more than one of the balls (why?). Can you use this to construct an injective map from an uncountable set into a countable set? What's wrong with that? I'm a little disturbed because I haven't used the fact that A is closed. But not that much, because if U is a subset of X then it's always contained in a closed set. Namely X. Have I missed something subtle?

I know the reply is a little late but I've been a bit busy.

I like the idea, but I'm not too sure about the injective map from an uncountable set to a countable one. I assume we want to map U -> S injectively, but we've only shown that every s is contained uniquely to a ball around an element in u, there's no guarantee that the number of elements in [itex] B(u; \frac{c}{4} ) \cap S [/itex] is precisely one, and so I can't think of a way of creating a well-defined map.

I'm wondering if perhaps we shouldn't go in the other direction; i.e. show there's a surjective map from S to U which would also give a contradiction. We can do this since every s in S can be uniquely identified with a certain u in U, and since [itex] B(u; \frac{c}{4} ) \cap S \neq \emptyset [/itex] then for every u, an "inverse" would exist (though again not guaranteed to be a singleton set).

Am I missing something obvious that guarantees injectivity? Is there a reason why the surjectivity wouldn't work? Indeed, if the surjective argument works, I could (although not necessary) create the stronger bijective map.

It's certainly true you have to pick an s for each u. But that's what the axiom of choice is for. It's injective because if s is in B(u1,c/4), then it's not also in B(u2,c/4), so there's no chance of two elements of U mapping to the same element of S. The surjection ought to work as well. Take the subset S' of the elements of S that are contained in the balls. Now map them to U in the obvious way. Either way you get the contradiction card(S)>=card(U), I would say the choice of injecting one way or surjecting the other way are two different ways of stating the same argument.

What is a non-separable set?

A non-separable set is a set that cannot be written as the union of two disjoint subsets. In other words, there is no way to separate the elements of the set into two distinct groups.

How do you prove that a set is non-separable?

To prove that a set is non-separable, you must show that it cannot be written as the union of two disjoint subsets. This can be done by finding a specific element in the set that cannot be placed in either subset without overlapping with elements in the other subset.

What is the significance of showing that A is not separable?

Showing that A is not separable is significant because it proves that the set A cannot be divided into two distinct groups. This can have implications in various fields of mathematics, such as topology and measure theory.

Are there any real-life examples of non-separable sets?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of non-separable sets. One example is the set of all irrational numbers, which cannot be separated into two subsets of rational and irrational numbers. Another example is the set of all continuous functions, which cannot be divided into two subsets of continuous and discontinuous functions.

How can the concept of non-separable sets be applied in scientific research?

The concept of non-separable sets can be applied in various scientific research fields, such as computer science, economics, and physics. In computer science, non-separable sets are used in data mining and machine learning algorithms. In economics, they are used in game theory and decision-making processes. In physics, non-separable sets are used in quantum mechanics and the study of entangled particles.