1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A notation question

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What does the following notation mean, assuming that I is a set, and i is a member of the set i, and x is an endowment of a member i, and is a vector?

Assuming x is (1, 2, 3) for each i, and I = {1, 2, 3, 4}

Does khWfb.png mean
    (1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3) ?

2. Relevant equations
    khWfb.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    Googling

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2
    Also, does p5JXM.png mean (p, (1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3))?

Or does it imply a p assigned to each xi individually?

4. Jul 10, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is "endowment" a translation from another language? I don't recognise it here.

Given that x is a vector (of dimension the cardinality of I) then [itex]\left(x^i\right)_{i\in I}[/itex] is the list of x's components.

[itex]\left(p,\left(x^i\right)_{i\in I}\right)[/itex] is p together with all the components of the vector x.

5. Jul 10, 2012 #4
    Thanks for your help. This is from an economics paper, so by endowment I mean an endowment bundle for each consumer. The list of consumers is in the I set, and an individual consumer is i.

The x vector is only a commodity vector - it doesn't have any information on the consumers (in the I set). Each consumer has an endowment vector associated with them, which is expressed as x with a superscript of i.

From what I understand, it's supposed to list all the endowment vectors for each consumer from the set I. However, I don't understand how it lists them.

Will it be listed as: (p, vector1, vector2, vector3) etc? Or will it be listed as (p, vector1component1, vector1component1, ... vector3component1 etc..)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook