What does the notation \left(p,\left(x^i\right)_{i\in I}\right) mean?

• Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation for representing endowment bundles for consumers in an economics paper. The notation includes a set I for the list of consumers, a member i representing an individual consumer, and a vector x representing a commodity vector. The endowment bundle for each consumer is expressed as x with a superscript of i. This notation can be used to list all the endowment vectors for each consumer in the set I.
Cinitiator

Homework Statement

What does the following notation mean, assuming that I is a set, and i is a member of the set i, and x is an endowment of a member i, and is a vector?

Assuming x is (1, 2, 3) for each i, and I = {1, 2, 3, 4}

Does
khWfb.png
mean
(1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3) ?

Homework Equations

khWfb.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Googling

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, does
p5JXM.png
mean (p, (1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3))?

Or does it imply a p assigned to each xi individually?

Is "endowment" a translation from another language? I don't recognise it here.

Given that x is a vector (of dimension the cardinality of I) then [itex]\left(x^i\right)_{i\in I}[/itex] is the list of x's components.

[itex]\left(p,\left(x^i\right)_{i\in I}\right)[/itex] is p together with all the components of the vector x.

HallsofIvy said:
Is "endowment" a translation from another language? I don't recognise it here.

Given that x is a vector (of dimension the cardinality of I) then [itex]\left(x^i\right)_{i\in I}[/itex] is the list of x's components.

[itex]\left(p,\left(x^i\right)_{i\in I}\right)[/itex] is p together with all the components of the vector x.

Thanks for your help. This is from an economics paper, so by endowment I mean an endowment bundle for each consumer. The list of consumers is in the I set, and an individual consumer is i.

The x vector is only a commodity vector - it doesn't have any information on the consumers (in the I set). Each consumer has an endowment vector associated with them, which is expressed as x with a superscript of i.

From what I understand, it's supposed to list all the endowment vectors for each consumer from the set I. However, I don't understand how it lists them.

Will it be listed as: (p, vector1, vector2, vector3) etc? Or will it be listed as (p, vector1component1, vector1component1, ... vector3component1 etc..)?

What is a notation question?

A notation question is a type of question that involves the use of a specific notation or symbolic representation to solve the problem. This notation can vary depending on the field of study, such as mathematics, music, or chemistry.

Why is notation important in scientific research?

Notation is important in scientific research because it allows for precise and concise communication of complex ideas and concepts. It also helps in organizing and analyzing data, making it easier to identify patterns and draw conclusions.

What are some common notations used in science?

Some common notations used in science include mathematical symbols, chemical formulas, musical notes, and genetic codes. These notations are standardized and widely used within their respective fields.

Can notations change over time?

Yes, notations can change over time as new discoveries and advancements are made in a particular field. This can lead to the development of new notations or modifications to existing ones in order to accurately represent new information.

How can I learn more about notations in a specific field?

The best way to learn more about notations in a specific field is to consult textbooks, research articles, and experts in that field. You can also take courses or attend workshops that focus on the use of notations in that particular subject area.