1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Number Theorem

1. Aug 27, 2015 #1
    Greetings,

I've discovered (and proved) an an amusing little number theorem. The problem is I have no credentials to publish it, being an undergraduate student of physics. Suggestions please?

Best,

Gimblestitch Archmage

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2
    Speak to your adviser or a trusted professor if you truly have something publishable. If it's not publishable (as in, it's not a big enough result), then maybe that professor can work with you to go deeper into the problem. If it's already known, then you don't really lose anything either. If the professor doesn't see it as something that can be improved on, and it's still not publishable, but it is new, then you'll at least have the experience of doing something new.

Anyone can publish a paper anywhere. No one looks for you to have completed a Ph.D in math before you submit a paper. If your result is legitimate and interesting, then it can be published. Most of us aren't qualified to gauge the merits of your work (since we don't even know what it is); that's why you should speak to professors you know.

4. Aug 27, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If you look in the Guides section of PF Insights, there are a couple of articles on publishing papers that may give you some ideas in addition to the good ones already given by axmls:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/category/guides/

:smile:

5. Aug 27, 2015 #4
    Tip of advice, if it is something great, keep it to yourself. Only show trusted people. DO not post on sites such as Matchstacks etc. People can steal your credit if you did find something.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  6. Aug 28, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you certainly won't get any credit if you don't tell anyone!

7. Aug 28, 2015 #6
    Let's keep the snarky results to a minimum. I said show trusted people.. Anyone with a brain would seek a trusted person and ask do I have something here.

I would expect better behavior from staff.

8. Aug 29, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One, I'm not "staff". Two, I was not being "snarky", I was completely serious.

9. Aug 30, 2015 #8
    Addendum: I submitted my little number theorem to the Journal of AMS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook