Odd Prime Divisors of Sum of Squares

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a and b being relatively prime, and an odd prime p dividing a^2+b^2. The conversation also mentions using mod arithmetic and the theorem that if p is prime, x^2 ≡ -1 mod p has a solution iff p ≡ 1 mod 4. The conversation ends with the question of how to manipulate the equation a^2 ≡ -b^2 mod p and finding a solution to the question.
omega16
Can anyone help me with this question?

Suppose (a, b)=1 . Prove that if p is any odd prime which divides a^2 + b^2 then p ≡ 1 ( mod 4).

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you reduced a^2+b^2 mod anything?

No, still can't figure out how to start this proof. Could you please teach me how to do it? Thank you very much.

What do you know about primes that are congruent to 1 mod 4?

My question still stands. Did youi try to reduce this mod anything? Surely that is the first thing to do since the question is about mod arithmetic. So reduce it mod anything that seems reasonable and play around with what's left. Then tell us what you think. The purpose of this is website is not to do it for you, nor to teach you by doing it for you, but to get you to do things for yourself. You've been given the starting point, now what have you done?

That is what I can think of:

Since p|(a^2+b^2), so a^2+b^2≡ 0 (mod p) and a^2 ≡ -b^2 mod p

So far so good. Any other manipulations you can do to that?

Did you think about the question I asked?

No , don't know what to go on next?

Does the below theorem useful for go on my prove?

if p is prime, the equation x^2 ≡ - 1 mod p has solution iff p ≡ 1 mod 4

omega16 said:
Does the below theorem useful for go on my prove?

if p is prime, the equation x^2 ≡ - 1 mod p has solution iff p ≡ 1 mod 4

Yes, very usefull.

You have a^2=-b^2 mod p

Is there anyway you can move the b over to the other side? When is such an operation valid?

thank you very much. I have solved this question.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers. It explores patterns and structures within numbers and their connections to other mathematical concepts.

2. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. Examples of prime numbers include 2, 3, 5, 7, and 11.

3. What is the difference between a prime number and a composite number?

A prime number has only two factors (1 and itself), while a composite number has more than two factors. In other words, a composite number can be divided evenly by numbers other than 1 and itself.

4. How are prime numbers used in cryptography?

Prime numbers are an essential component of many encryption algorithms. They are used to generate keys that are difficult to crack, making them crucial for securing sensitive information and communication.

5. What is the famous unsolved problem in number theory?

The most well-known unsolved problem in number theory is the Riemann Hypothesis, which proposes a formula for predicting the distribution of prime numbers. It was first stated by German mathematician Bernhard Riemann in 1859 and remains one of the seven Millennium Prize Problems, each of which has a $1 million prize for its solution.